[3830] ARRL 10 HA3LN SO Mixed Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 HA3LN SO Mixed Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 20:47:25 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2021

Call: HA3LN
Operator(s): HA3LN
Station: HA3LN

Class: SO Mixed Unlimited HP
QTH: EEU
Operating Time (hrs): 8

   CW:  172    49
  SSB:   55    12
-------------------
Total:  227    61  Total Score = 48,678

Club:

Comments:

.

This is a good contest. Own country worth as much points as a DX :-)

Interesting patchy propagation. Most of the stns came in bursts suddenly popped
out and disappeared quickly. There was 1 hour when the band was really open.
The vast majority of the QSOs were made in this slot.

Could start from 10UT due to family commitments but the real challenge started
at Sat evening. A big wx front went through the region bringing severe wind.
In according to the predictions, it peaks around 70km/h but in reality, it
reached 120km/h. Unfortunately, the bursts took for unusually long, even up to
several minutes making the situation pretty dangerous to the antennas. Never
seen the short 10m Yagi elements picking up a "U" shape.

On Sun morning I tried to keep fixed ant direction into 300 degrees to pick up
the EU stns but this proved to be a bad decision. When I reached the wanted
bearing the wind arrived perpendicular to the boom and pushed out significantly
and started to resonate very badly. I wanted the save the contest but at this
point I had to save the ant system to stay atop. I released the mast to relief
the boom load then the wind pushed the system to south and kept it there.
Most probably the worm gear is broken as I could not move it anymore.

As a last act I utilized the fixed south direction logging FR4KR but no one
else heard. After this I could only watch cqcontest.net...

Topping this whole up this windy wx took all day long stopped only on Mon
morning.

One more proof that the wind load design is not a "silly hobby". Even
tho the
antennas are visibly small areas but extreme forces can build up.
I need to check whether the Yagi’s are still on the tower.

Thanks for the calls.

73!
Csaba  HA3LN / HG3N