[3830] TBDC K2AV Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC K2AV Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 14:43:17 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Dec 18

Call: K2AV
Operator(s): K2AV
Station: K2AV

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 8.8

Total:  QSOs = 466  Total Score = 1,770

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Rash of equipment failures. K3 down, KPA1500 down. Managed to get the ancient
FT1000MP driving the AL1200, which is a completely different station setup. I
didn't have that all running fit for contest until 23:45Z, which is about 2
hours late after the usual winter effective propagation time here. I had to
fabricate cables and locate the Microham CW keyer to interface N1MM. Last time I
used the MP in a contest was 2007. So the cable set for that was who knows where
if they hadn't been thrown out.

Then since it was the old manual tune AL1200, had to set up list of tuner
settings to moderate the SWR presented. Spent the first hour getting
reacquainted with the controls, and peeved by the LSB CW.

Was close to giving it up when got everything to click together.

FT1000MP + AL1200 + Inverted L over FCP.

K3 & KPA probably having to take a trip to Aptos. What I missed the most was
being able to use the P3 to tune the radio to the next frequency for S&P.
The difference is that on the P3 there is a line in the waterfall. Doesn't
matter if  that station is sending or not. I know there is one there and it
helps to build up a map of the running stations. With the MP, I miss stations
because they weren't sending when I tuned past. I'll never buy another radio
without that built in.

But the old feller got up and did what it had to.

73, Guy K2AV