[3830] RAC Winter N4SS(@W5MX) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Winter N4SS(@W5MX) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2021 17:48:26 +0000
                    RAC Winter Contest - 2021

Call: N4SS
Operator(s): W5MX KJ4YLR
Station: W5MX

Class: M/S HP
QTH: KY
Operating Time (hrs): 11

  160:   35      0       3         0
   80:   69      1       7         1
   40:  167     50      10         7
   20:  131     20      11         9
   15:   73      4       8         4
   10:    7      0       3         0
    6:    0      0       0         0
    2:    0      0       0         0
Total:  482     75      42        21  Total Score = 189,504

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

Another MS effort with Clayton KJ4YLR, and again he primarily ran ssb while I
did cw. I really like this contest, being able to work anyone makes it fun. The
variety of bands/modes make sure there is always something going on. Good
activity!
We only "worked" 11 hours in the contest as I took advantage of the
fairly decent WX Saturday to work on a few antenna issues. I had to go up the EU
tower to replace a section of coax from the 20m stack phasing box to the remote
coax switch box. When I replaced the coax switch box this fall, I was tightening
the coax connectors with a vice grip (slightly - not a lot of pressure but more
than you can get with fingers!) and the sleeve on the 20m stack coax started to
strip out. Cheap connectors... As I have heard and should know myself, trying to
save a couple bucks on cheap connectors is not worth it!!! Try to save $
elsewhere, not where you need to make trips up/down the tower! Replaced it with
a DXE connector, much better quality. Anyways, got the situation resolved along
with some beverage work in prep for the Stew Saturday night so it was a
productive day besides the contest.
We ended up running in the RAC until nearly the end of the contest which cost me
some time in the Stew, but we were having a good time and still plenty of new
stuff to work!
We had a great time, appreciate all the Q's and thank you RAC, good contest!

Bryan
W5MX