[3830] RAC Winter VE3ZF/P SOSB/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, igor.slakva2020@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] RAC Winter VE3ZF/P SOSB/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2021 16:32:27 +0000
                    RAC Winter Contest - 2021

Call: VE3ZF/P
Operator(s): VE3ZF
Station: VE3ZF

Class: SOSB/2 LP
QTH: Mt. McLean, ON
Operating Time (hrs):

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:   24     80       1         1
Total:   24     80       1         1  Total Score = 1,500

Club: Manitoulin Amateur Radio Club

Comments:

The winter VHF DX-pedition was organized for operating in the RAC Winter Contest
2021 from the top of Mt. McLean, the highest point of the Manitoulin Island,
Lake Huron. The main goal of the VHF DX-pedition was to represent Manitoulin
Island and rare grid EN95ax on VHF during the RAC Winter Contest.

After 7 hours of my long drive on Friday, Dec. 18th I came to Manitoulin Island
and was able to drive to the top of Mt. McLean by 4X4 SUV. First of all, three
of us - Al VE3AJB, Pat  VE3VC, and myself, Igor VE3ZF have installed 13 elements
of Yagi antenna for 144 MHz on the top of Mt. McLean in a few hours before the
RAC Winter Contest. Very strong wind and low temperature seriously complicated
the installation of the Yagi antenna. For VHF contest operation was prepared
Kenwood TS-2000, 100 watts output.

Propagation on VHF during the contest was too far to be perfect however
elevation in 300 meters over sea level of Mt. McLean gave an incredible
possibility to make a QSOs on 144 MHz across Ontario. Unfortunately, the weather
condition on Saturday afternoon was seriously complicated due to a strong
snowstorm and we made a hard decision to turn off the radio and remove the Yagi
antenna from the top of the mountain in 6 hours before the end of the contest.
However,  I was able to make 104 QSOs on 144 MHz during my operation time on the
top of Mt. McLean.

I am very thankful to Al VE3AJB and Pat VE3VC, they gave me incredible help
during this winter VHF DX-pedition.

Also, many thanks to all who called me on 144 MHz in the RAC Winter Contest
2021.

73,

 Igor VE3ZF/p

Mt. McLean, Manitoulin Island