[3830] NAQP CW WX3B Single Op Assisted LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wx3b@yahoo.com
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW WX3B Single Op Assisted LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 01:45:07 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: WX3B
Operator(s): WX3B
Station: WX3B

Class: Single Op Assisted LP
QTH: MD
Operating Time (hrs): 0.6

  160:   0      0
   80:   0      0
   40:   0      0
   20:  12     10
   15:   0      0
   10:  17     14
-------------------
Total:  29     20  Total Score = 580

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

File this story under "What do you get when you don't get RESULTS?  You get
EXPERIENCE (or a long story!).

After a little progressive rock playing on my piano before the contest,
(Trying to play a version of YES: Yours is no disgrace) - I headed downstairs
and immediately discovered my Yaesu FTDX-101mp was DEAD DEAD DEAD, wouldn't turn
on, NOTHING.

I made an executive decision that I was more interested in working on that
problem than operating in NAQP.  For the next 45 minutes, I fussed with the
radio and power supply to no avail.  Then I got smart and measured the power
supply voltage and was bamboozled that there was NO 50 volt output as necessary
to power the radio.  Figured that *must* be the problem:  the power supply. Then
I got on the internet and did some reading and discovered that the 50v ONLY
appears when the power supply is under load on the 13.8v section (this saved me
a lot of time).

On a lark, I disconnected everything from the radio piece by piece and when I
disconnected the computer interface the radio CAME BACK TO LIFE!!  Problem
solved for now - I'm not sure how *something* in the computer interface could
inhibit the power supply or radio from turning on, but for this radio, one of
the first suggestions when there is a malfunction, is to "disconnect
EVERYTHING" and try again.  Hmmmm...this sounds more and more like COMPUTER
SOFTWARE BEHAVIOUR!!!

I was late to the 10 meter party and boy 10 sounded better than it has in awhile
during NAQP.  There was west coast, Mid-west, even worked Hawaii.  Stuff all up
and down the east coast (new England, Canada) - ZF...and PY.

As I was settling in for the next few hours, I got a phone call from my son Alex
and we rag chewed for a very long time and did some zoom conference testing.

Got on 20 meters for a few minutes and discovered it was in excellent condition
even with the time nearing 5:30pm!!

I'll bet there are going to be some seriously BIG scores in this event.

It was a fun time for a very short time.

A more significant effort is being planned for NAQP SSB!

73,

Jim   WX3B