[3830] NAQP CW VE3NNT Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, lesbrown@sympatico.ca
Subject: [3830] NAQP CW VE3NNT Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 20:53:24 +0000
                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: VE3NNT
Operator(s): VE3NNT
Station: VE3NNT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FN14cm
Operating Time (hrs): 8
Remote Operation

  160:   45    21
   80:  213    43
   40:  154    47
   20:   98    41
   15:   95    33
   10:    9     2
-------------------
Total:  614   187  Total Score = 114,818

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Team: CCO #2

Comments:

This was a spectacular disaster. Not much more could have gone wrong. I had a
medical appointment at 1 pm, so I was quite late starting. I missed most of the
10m opening.

When I fired up the station, SmartSDR CAT was acting up. It had lost it's
connection to the assigned ports. I had to go through the procedure to clear the
ports and reassign them and reboot the computer. This delayed my start another
20 minutes.

When I was able to start, the internet connection to the cottage station was
acting up in a very strange way. I did a speed test on it and the rate was all
over the place but quite low, just a few Mbit/s up and down.
I had a not too bad packet loss but my Maestro was showing me delay variation
ranging from 30 ms to 9 seconds, rapidly changing. This condition stayed for the
entire contest. It made SO2R absolutely impossible. Running was difficult. After
a station would call me, I would hit the enter key to send and then wait for
anywhere from 10 ms to several seconds before actual transmission, a delay that
changed for each transmission. More often than not, transmission would start
when the calling station was sending his call again. Only those stations that
had QSK then responded quickly. For the rest, I had to repeat my transmission
when I heard silence. S&P was also very challenging. I would hit the enter
key to send my call and wait several seconds for the actual transmission, often
clobbering the runner's transmission to another station or clobbering the
station that the runner had responding to. I guess it was like running QRP, you
end up last in the pileup. It turns out that running was the least harmful thing
to do. After 8 hours of this, I gave up. I couldn't take it any longer.