[3830] ARRL Jan VHF KM4KMU Limited Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF KM4KMU Limited Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 00:37:05 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  96     39  Total Score = 3,744

Club:

Comments:

First time setting up a VERY limited multi-op.
The goal was to have fun, introduce a friend KN4BLG (KN4) to
VHF/UHF contesting and make the best out of what promised to be rough
conditions.

KN4 has had his Technicians for several  years but was
inactive, being bored with repeaters.  I motivated him to get his
General a few months ago.  He fell in love with his IC-7300 and FT8 on
HF with a home brew antenna.  He passed Extra a couple days ago.  This
was going to be a whole new experience for both of us.  I had him
watch N5XO's contest video just in case it got busy so he would know
what could, but probably wouldn't happen.

Station:
100W on 50, 144, 222 & 432 working SSB, FM & FT8
A 12' boom beam for each band on my Jeep fold over mast.
KN4 set up his IC-7300 in a small trailer next to the Jeep with the 6m
feed line switchable between his  6m only IC-7300 and my FT-991A which
covered all four bands using a DEMI XVRTR for 222. We were located in
urban Va Beach at 30' ASL.  The rotor controller stayed in the Jeep so
when KN4 wanted a bearing change he would call me on an HT to move it.
I spent a lot of time in the trailer so I got very wet and very
cold running back and forth to move that rotor.

The goal was to have fun and introduce KN4 to VHF/UHF contesting.

KN4 really put the hammer down on 6m FT8.  After a few hours he had
multiple screens open with contact maps, signal reports and spotting
networks.  He monitored our signal reports and had me move the beam
around looking for possible openings, staying where it was strong and
moving when it faded.  When the signal reports came in strong he would
let me know and I would jump off 2m FT8 and try SSB on the 3 higher
bands, occasionally having him give me the 6m antenna but that gained
us nothing, conditions were bad.   When he saw other stations in the
local area get good reports on other bearings he would have me point
the beam in that direction to work new stations and grids on FT8, I
would tag along, first trying 2m SSB then FT8 in the Jeep.  Every time
he got a new contact outside the local grids he was excited.

There were several  "difficult" western stations KN4 kept seeing but
were just out of reach:  W5LO EM03, W5TRL EM10, AB5CC EM14 & K0TPP
EM48.  By working the propagation and with persistence (but not target
fixation) he finally got all of them.  K0TPP was special.  KN4 chased
K0TPP all day Saturday but time and time again as soon as he tried to
work K0TPP the propagation would falter, sometimes mid exchange, that
doesn't happen much on 20m and he would try again or move on.   We set
up MSK-144 for  Saturday night.   Despite A LOT of MSK activity our
100W only managed to fully complete one contact, N4SVC in EM80.  After
4 hours sleep we got back to work.  KN4 on MSK-144 and FT8 and me on
2m FT8 & SSB.

A little after 5 am I heard KN4 yelling over the HT "
I GOT HIM, I GOT HIM"

Yes, he finally got K0TPP and he did it on MSK-144.  He has been
telling the story of how he bounced a signal off of ionized meteor
trails to family and friends ever since.  They are as amazed to hear
that such a thing is possible as he was thrilled to do it.  Digital
modes on VHF/UHF are a heck of a lot of fun.

A few KN4 quotes are appropriate:
"This is a lot more effort than 20m, I love the chase".
"It's a lot of fun and a challenge to dig them out".
"Its like a scavenger hunt, every opening and every contact is
special".
"This is harder and more fun than I thought".
"The XYL says I can go to the mountain in June"

Observations
Our score sucked, out location sucked, the propagation sucked, the
weather sucked, my station even sucked, its a lousy example of a
limited multi-op set up.  WE HAD A GREAT TIME.

VHF/UHF contests are a tremendous amount of fun.   This contest was no
exception to that.  We exceeded all expectations and pegged out the
fun meter.  Its not the QSO rate that matters, you can get that any
day on 20m or 40m.  Its not the multiplier count or even the score
that matters (done far better on FM Only).  The fun is in the
challenge.  The fun is in finding and being rewarded by working the
openings.  The fun is in having your persistence and effort pay off in
digging out a weak and difficult station.  The fun is in changing
modes when needed (FM, FT8 or MSK).  Above all, the fun is in
overcoming the obstacles put in front of you, be they weather,
propagation or technical mishaps.  The fun puts a big smile on your
face and leaves you wanting to do it again.

Still smiling Monday night and I can't wait to do it again.
73
John
KM4KMU