[3830] ARRL Jan VHF WA3NUF Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, philnuf@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF WA3NUF Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 04:07:05 +0000

  3.4:    6     2
  5.7:    2     1
  10G:    1     1
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  420    95  Total Score = 78,090

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

After a mediocre score in last year’s VHF SS, I was determined to make
improvements both in the hardware and contest operation of my station. I GPS
locked the VHF / UHF transverters to make them rock stable for FT8 use. I
checked and aligned the microwave bands after too many years of neglect. Most
importantly, I made a conscious effort to spend more time on CW / SSB and less
time on FT8. The results were worth the effort.  I worked 60% of my contacts on
analog and 40% FT8 and achieved my best score since WSJT took over the contest
three years ago.

Band conditions were generally good, but no significant openings touched eastern
PA even though DX Maps indicated there were openings to the north and south of
us. Many more stations were available on 222 and especially 432 FT8 this year
which helped the QSO and grid counts. Too many operators still don’t know how
to configure or use WSJT in a VHF contest. It’s getting better but more
practice and a basic quick start guide is needed to get more operators up to
speed.

Many thanks to the rovers that braved the cold weather. I chased them for
multi-band contacts in each grid. Spending more time on phone provided many more
multi-band contacts. The higher band point score advantage still beats pounding
out 1-point contacts.

The contest ended early in the last hour as my antennas gradually iced up and
the receiver noise slowly got quieter. Hope everyone had a good contest.

73, Phil WA3NUF