[3830] WFD AA9RK 1O QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WFD AA9RK 1O QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 01:26:27 +0000
                    Winter Field Day - 2022

Call: AA9RK
Operator(s): AA9RK
Station: AA9RK

Class: 1O QRP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 2

  160:
   80:
   40:    9     1
   20:    2     1
   15:
   10:    1     1
    6:
    2:          2
  222:
  432:          1
----------------------------
Total:   12     6       0  Mults = 8  Total Score = 2,460

Club: Badger Contesters

Comments:

(12 CW QSOs x 2 pts apiece) + (6 phone QSOs x 1 pt apiece) = 30 QSO pts
(30 QSO pts x 8 band/mode combinations x 4 for QRP) = 960 points
+500 for outdoors, +500 for not home, +500 for all emergency power
Final score: 2460

I went to a local park, set up a Ten Tec Argo 556 and a Spark Plug Gear EFHW,
and spent about two hours on the air.  Temperature: 23 degrees Fahrenheit (-5
Celsius).

I only contacted one other outdoor station the entire time.  In one way it was
nice to have all of the home stations on the air, because it meant someone could
hear my little QRP signal, but it also meant that there were a lot of big guns
calling CQ and a lot of big guns answering them, and breaking through pileups
like that was nigh impossible for my four watts.  I wasted a lot of time trying
to call loud stations.  As it turned out, the only thing that really worked was
calling CQ in a quiet part of the band, up above the recommended frequencies.

After I got home, I looked at RBN to see who was hearing my CQs and where.  I
was struck by how much louder my CQs were on 40 meters (many stations heard me,
mostly 10-20 dB) than on 20 (few stations heard me, mostly 5-10 dB).  No wonder
I spent more than half an hour on 20 and made a total of three QSOs.
Propagation really favored 40 over 20 for me.

In a way I almost regret going out to the park.  Saturday night and Sunday
morning there was so much WFD activity on the bands while I was home -- in
particular more PSK than I've seen in years -- and I couldn't take part in any
of it the rest of the weekend.