[3830] CQ160 CW VY2ZM(K1ZM) Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, K1ZM@aol.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW VY2ZM(K1ZM) Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 12:22:54 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2022

Call: VY2ZM
Operator(s): K1ZM
Station: VY2ZM

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: PEI
Operating Time (hrs): 29.5

Total:  QSOs = 1728  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 70  Total Score = 1,647,744

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Interesting and strange conditions in this one. For example:

1) For the first two hours or so - European signals had some kind of rapid
(almost doppler-like fading on them) making copy quite difficult when portions
of individual characters would drop out - literally.  I have only seen this
before at 9M0W AND V84SAA when we were there.  I remember W4ZV's callsign at
9M0W being heard clearly as N4IS one night on Spratly - weird for sure!  Talk
about blowing a callsign....!!!

2) On Saturday night from about 0200-0330z, the band went bonkers with about 4
strong European stations on just about every dial frequency - and my antenna
seemingly had no DIRECTIVITY on them at all for awhile.  I actually stopped to
check things on a few loud USA stations - and it seemed to be switching properly
on those stations.  Very strange for sure....Later things seemed more normal.

3) There was almost no deep Asia heard here - one UA9, P3, 4L, 4X2 and an HZ.

Missed a few that I heard including a second HZ and a 4Z5.  AFRICA except for
CR3W was pretty much a Nil HRD here.  It has been that way for many years now.
No JA's heard and no VK's - but two ZL's were logged and a KH6.

Finally - the BOMB CYCLONE snowstorm that K3ZM sent my way hit hard on Saturday
night causing the usual loss of power but the GENERAC came on and saved the day
thankfully!

Thanks for all the qso's and hope to CU in the next one.

73 Jeff  K1ZM/VY2ZM