[3830] CQ160 CW W1WBB Single Op Assisted LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW W1WBB Single Op Assisted LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 20:06:03 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2022

Call: W1WBB
Operator(s): W1WBB
Station: W1WBB

Class: Single Op Assisted LP
QTH: W1
Operating Time (hrs): 16.5

Total:  QSOs = 587  State/Prov = 54  Countries = 29  Total Score = 133,630

Club: CT RI Contest Group

Comments:

Took a direct hit from Bomb Cyclone Nor'easter storm 'Kenan' starting late Fri
night thru all day Saturday -- met official 'blizzard' conditions description
here with near 20 inches of snow, white-out visibility and strong sustained
winds over 50 mph.  Never lost power here so I just kept hammering away.

My 160m extended Inv L antenna survived the onslaught (as did all other wire
antennas here) but bottom 10-15 kHz of the band developed high SWR/became almost
untunable later Saturday [that's never happened]...lost fair number of contacts
there as the best I could do was reduce power significantly and try S&P mode
briefly within that portion of the band.

Thru S/R Sat morn (9.5 hrs): 414 Q's/1189 pts/50 states & prov/25 DX/89,500
score
First night, somewhat late, saw quite a nice opening to Eu for me: 27 Eu logged
and 29 total ten pt QSOs, incl 2 SA [with many sigs at/just above my noise].  I
sacrificed Run rate to work the DX and felt lucky to have worked so many of them
with my 100 watts on Night 1.

2nd night was a real struggle to find new stations to work -- limited activity
this year it sure seemed and no real opening into Eu on 2nd eve ... the huge
East Coast snow storm and a lessened COVID effect perhaps??  It didn't help that
the solar wind had increased Sat as well.  Only added 3 more ten pt QSOs by
contests' end.  Conditions to the west/far west never seemed very good -- only
11 Zone 3 QSOs logged all weekend.

Very late I realized regular RI High Power 'Run' stations W1XX and W1OP were
inactive for this event and NC1CC had limited activity ... so did my best to
call CQ a lot and work as many of you Topbanders as possible from here in RI.

The lack of activity on Day 2 and my tuning troubles down low on the band
limited my on-air operating somewhat though.  I also only caught last 25 mins
around Sunday S/R but was rewarded with a great QSO with KH7A (strong sig just 4
mins before my S/R -- thanks!!).  And, I forgot the contest went until 2200z and
thus missed a few QSOs at the end I'm sure.  Totals: 587 Q's/1610 Q pts/54 st/29
DX = 133630

Five point QSOs, Day 1/Day 2/total:  43/17 = 60  [50 VE QSOs!]
Ten point QSOs, Day 1/Day 2/total:    29/3 = 32
DXCC, 29 total: NA-7, SA-2, OC-1, AF-1, EU-18

States missed: SD, NV, WA and KL7.  VE missed:  VO2, VE4, VE7, VE8, VY1, VY0.

Thanks for the Topband fun and 73!

Bill  W1WBB

-- Icom IC-7300 @ 100w
-- 5/16 wavelength Inv L (up ~80 ft/over ~90 ft) for TX/RX with three 65 ft elev

   radials over modest ground screen; series matching cap @ feedpoint
-- Horizontal wires as auxiliary RX via manual switch (doublet or Hexbeam);
   unamplified half-size Pennant facing ENE
-- N1MM+ Logger and WinKeyer CW interface; Vibroplex Deluxe paddle on fills