[3830] ARRLDX CW KA1IS SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, tkzic@megalink.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW KA1IS SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 02:20:14 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: KA1IS
Operator(s): KA1IS
Station: KA1IS

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Norway, Maine
Operating Time (hrs): 37
OpMode: SO2R

  160:  128    43
   80:  278    50
   40:  855    82
   20:  915    80
   15:  894    79
   10:   68    26
-------------------
Total: 3138   360  Total Score = 3,389,040

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Operating from the ice fishing tent on Witt Hill in Norway Maine. Had to wear
spikes on boots due to ice everywhere on the ground from Thursday's rain. Also
needed needed tire chains to get up the road. Very cold and windy, but amazing
full moon.

Was testing my homebrew SO2R system using Max/MSP and MIDI controllers. Main
radio was ic-7610 and sub was ic-7300. The KPA-1500 was shared between the 2
radios - only possible because of the amazing antenna tuning system and some CAT
commands that instantly pre-load the last band tuning. Could not have done this
with any other amp. Its a huge relief that I didn't blow up the amplifier (and
radios) because this was definitely a prototype with more opportunity for
mistakes than getting it right.

Thanks to KQ2M and other YCCC'ers for help with all my SO2R questions. The LBS
band pass filters are incredible.

Didn't actually do much SO2R because I'm still learning - its super distracting
when you're trying to manage a run. But part of the system was a new band
switching system to assign any of the 15 antennas to either radio with a single
button press, using an old Novation launchpad controller.

Missed most of the first 2 hours due to putting the 160m inverted L back in the
air - and a problem with the logging software due to some weird Apple thing.
Luckily Bill K1GQ helped me get back on track.

Also smashed the side window of the Polaris Ranger when the wind ripped the door
 open. Was on hands and knees cleaning bits of glass off the road instead of
getting ready for the contest ;-)

Highlight of the contest was having YB1 and 4L8 call me, one after another.

I'm getting better at not spending hours trying to work JA's after working the
first one. Old habits die hard.

Apologies for the lid behavior due to SO2R and sudden generator shutdowns.

Really glad I fixed the inverted-L because that's 43 multipliers.

Tom
KA1IS