[3830] ARRLDX CW AA4LR SOUAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, aa4lr@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW AA4LR SOUAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 16:42:55 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: AA4LR
Operator(s): AA4LR
Station: AA4LR

Class: SOUAB LP
QTH: GA
Operating Time (hrs): 3

  160:
   80:  18     15
   40:  40     23
   20:  10      5
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  68     43  Total Score = 8,772

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Antennas:
80/40/20m trap dipole at 10m high
160/80/40m trap inverted-J with 3 elevated radials

Equipment:
Elecraft K3/100 w/KAT3 running 100 watts

Comments:

Just a casual handing out of a few Qs on Saturday night in Fulton County QTH.
Started on 20m just after dark. Signals had a "funny" quality and it
was hard to break through the pile. I counted this to the lack of a beam antenna
and lots of callers to the DX.

40m was a different story. Europeans came right back to me when I called them.
80m was a little harder, but not as hard as 20m. I spent some time tuning 160m,
but I never heard any DX stations. Too much noise at this Atlanta QTH.

Rig is a second K3 (SN 89xx) I just acquired from a local ham. This one has the
KSYN3A, KIO3B, KXV3B and a couple of other options. I may decide to swap some
options around with my original K3 (SN70xx).

I was surprised to find that the 400 Hz filter in this rig was not enabled for
CW mode. That was easy to fix with the Elecraft K3 Utility.

The checkout of the new rig went well. There's a few settings which are set
differently from K3 (SN70xx). I need to figure that out and bring them more in
line. It performs like a K3. Hard to believe Elecraft stopped selling these
great radios.

The Elecraft K2 is likely going back to Gwinnett county. Hard to believe it is
20 years old now. Still a great little radio.