[3830] ARRLDX CW W1NN SOSB40 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hal@japancorporateresearch.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW W1NN SOSB40 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 09:20:59 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: SOSB40 LP
QTH: OH
Operating Time (hrs): 15
Remote Operation

  160:
   80:
   40:  284    64
   20:
   15:
   10:
-------------------
Total:  284    64  Total Score = 54,528

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

This was a remote operation of my little station back in Ohio - which I have not
visited in over two years - from Tokyo where I have been hiding from Covid.
Friends living in the area have helped keep the station partly operable, for
which I am exceedingly grateful.

But with only two antennas (low 40 and 80 dipoles) available, my options for
this contest were pretty limited.  It's pretty amazing that I even have these
antennas after all of the storms that have ravaged northern Ohio this winter.

I decided to see what I could do on 80 and 40 during normal Japan waking hours.
Due to the 14 hour time difference, my daytime here is prime operating time on
the low bands, so I didn't need to miss sleep to put in a decent effort.
Experience has taught me that with a low dipole, I'm only going to hear the top
tier of EU stations on these bands, so I thought I could split my operating time
between the two bands without missing much.  Since I can't submit two SB
entries, I choose to submit the 40 log.

RE 40, I was able to work almost any station that I could hear, with the
operable word being "hear."  Listening to the big US guns running, I
couldn't hear a lot the stations they were working and seeing that K3LR worked
over 1700 stations on the band, it is clear that I am hearing only about 15-20%
of the stations that are there.  Humbling!  The JAs were really weak and most
couldn't hear me, but I finally managed to work two of them on Sunday morning.
A majority of the stations I worked were HP but interestingly 84 of the stations
in my 40 log were LP.  About two-thirds of my contacts were S&P but from
time to time I was able to get some answers to my CQs.  I think my best running
hour was about 25 contacts.  I got a lot of newspaper reading in during these
times. Saturday conditions were better than Sunday. I think a lot of EU stations
didn't want to stay up after 11 or 12 PM their time, because things were pretty
slow after these times. In a similar operation in the CQWWDX CW last Nov, I
worked 369 stations in 84 countries on 40, so perhaps ARRL DX is less popular. I
estimate that 10 of my 15 hours were devoted to 40.

Conditions on 80 were very good on the first day and around 70% of the loud EU
stations could pull me in. The highlight on this band was working JH4UYB on the
first call.  This happened once before so he must have amazing receive antennas
and a really quiet QTH.  There were three or four other loud JAs on 80, but I
couldn't get any of them to hear me.  I didn't hear any VK or ZL, but I worked
lots of KH6 stations.  They seem to hear me very well.  I couldn't find very
many new stations to work on Sunday.  I ended up with 91 contacts and 40
countries.

I hope things will be different for the next ARRL DX CW weekend.

Thanks for the contacts!

73, Hal W1NN remote@tokyo