[3830] ARRLDX SSB W2JV SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, peternyy@verizon.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W2JV SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 00:06:30 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: W2JV
Operator(s): W2JV
Station: W2JV

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NY
Operating Time (hrs): 15:01

  160:    0     0
   80:   21    20
   40:   52    32
   20:  184    72
   15:   89    68
   10:   67    39
-------------------
Total:  413   221  Total Score = 273,819

Club: Order of Boiled Owls of New York

Comments:

Owls Heard: KA2D-AH20-K2RB

These marathons contests are like running a 24 hour car race, good test of
equipment and people and a few surprises.  I know I added a few new countries,
will check the log to confirm which ones. I had an intermittent audio issue on
high power, 15 meters, with the SPE when the antenna was pointed at 212 degrees,
SWR looked nominal.

Friday on 40 was a zoo, hard to work anyone, however the band was quiet, unlike
Saturday night on 40 & 80 which had atmospheric mayhem. I had fun, although
staying too long, timing the pileups. It was amazing how loud some of the
Europeans were running 100 watts.  It's clear that the war had an effect on
Russian activity, very few that I worked and unfortunately no one from Ukraine.
I thought going into the contest that I would run 30%, but I could not find much
space and Europe was carrying the load, except for a few big US stations.

I enjoy learning from the top guns how they analyze the contest with their log
breakdown of activity when they worked a band and their rates. What can I pass
on to someone you is new to contesting?  It's really about preparation winning
over the more talented station that just throws themselves into the fray.