[3830] ARRLDX SSB LO5D(WD6T) SOUSB10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB LO5D(WD6T) SOUSB10 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 00:52:11 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: LO5D
Operator(s): WD6T
Station: LO5D

Class: SOUSB10 HP
QTH: LU
Operating Time (hrs): 21:45
Remote Operation

  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:
   10: 2056    59
-------------------
Total: 2056    59  Total Score = 363,735

Club: Araucaria DX Group

Comments:

A big thanks to Mark LU8EOT for remote use of his FB station near Buenos Aires,
Argentina.  He also generously performed emergency tech support, even though he
was busy operating remotely to the ZF5T M/S!  Also many thanks to Gerry W1VE,
who introduced us and set up the Mumble audio server.

This was only the second time the station has been used remotely in a big
contest (Gerry did WPX), and the first time in ARRL. It was also my first ARRL
DX from any  DX location. My goal was 2000 Qs and was very happy to achieve it,
despite losing an hour during an internet outage.  I worked all the mults on the
first day; never heard LB,NT,NU or YT. (I had packet spots turned on, hence
"unlimited," but ended up running all the time.)

It was a surreal experience to be operating from California and working local
friends from 6000 miles away. Of course, there were some challenges operating a
station from that distance, but I mostly adapted and was often able to sustain
some good rates, despite some latency-induced QLF. Another challenge was my dog
whose barking would trip my VOX!

It was nice to work many DXers with calls unfamiliar to SCP. I also became adept
at saying "lo siento pero solamente estados unidos y canada por
favor."

73,
Dave WD6T (from Berkeley CA)

Station info: Flex 6600M + Acom amplifier, stacked monobanders
Remote control via Flex Maestro, Anydesk and Mumble.