[3830] ARRLDX SSB N4SS(@W5MX) M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB N4SS(@W5MX) M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 02:25:12 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: N4SS
Operator(s): W5MX KJ4YLR
Station: W5MX

Class: M/S HP
QTH: KY
Operating Time (hrs): 38

  160:   22    19
   80:   58    37
   40:  100    61
   20:  690   102
   15: 1027   107
   10:  196    49
-------------------
Total: 2093   375  Total Score = 2,327,625

Club: Kentucky Contest Group

Comments:

Another Clayton KJ4YLR effort with myself in this one. Still a couple of
operators short for a real competitive MS effort. Having the station on the full
48 hours and a second radio for mults would sure help the score. But regardless,
we have a great time and that's what really counts as I always say!
We were both pretty tired from work Friday so ended up going to bed not too long
after midnight. A little later the second night, but not much.

As others have commented, the lower bands were very noisy Saturday evening and
into Sunday morning due to storms, both terrestrial and solar. Ridiculous noise
levels of s9+ even on beverages on 40 through 160. The band breakdown definitely
reflects our combination of the QRN and going to bed early both nights hihi.

Obviously 15 was the money band for us. Sunday was great to EU and the last
couple hours of the contest had the best condx to JA and Asia that I have worked
in a while. We put up a fixed 5 ele yagi on 15m last weekend for Asia and it was
worth it. I have another 15m mono laying around so thinking about adding it for
a fixed Asia stack. The newly installed antenna had a workout Sunday evening!

20 was pretty good, but I believe everyone was so preoccupied with 15 that
participation might have been down compared to the last few years. With the
solar cycle coming back around, folks get spread out on 20m through 10m rather
than crammed into 20m all day.

10 was great to the south and Africa with just a few bigger stations from
southern and western Europe worked. I kept checking, hoping for a good opening
to central and northern EU but no luck. We did manager to work JA3YBK for a mult
along with some VK/ZL stations as well.

Clayton continues to develop his skills for the contesting game. He is gaining
more confidence in running every contest which is great. He did some good
running, along with search and pounce this time. This had a nice impact to the
score!

Thanks to all for the Q's and 73s all.
All the best to everyone!

Bryan