[3830] ARRLDX SSB VP5M(@VP5/K4QPL) M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4qpl2@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB VP5M(@VP5/K4QPL) M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 03:01:21 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: VP5M
Operator(s): K4QPL NN3W WR3R K5OF
Station: VP5/K4QPL

Class: M/S LP
QTH: DX
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  127    34
   80:  460    51
   40: 1385    58
   20: 1834    59
   15: 1901    58
   10: 1441    58
-------------------
Total: 7148   318  Total Score = 6,817,284

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Notwithstanding this being put together at the last minute, everyone came
together with great enthusiasm and desire to make the most of our not having
operated together and the VP5M station being a setup really designed for casual
operators to Providenciales in the beautiful Turks and Caicos Islands.
Equipment and antennas:
Two Elecraft K3's, one with panadapter
Two windows 10 computers running N1MM+ networked with the great room big screen
TV pressed into service as the main parameter displays.
Antennas:
          SteppIR three element beam with 40M dipole addition at 30' on AB-577
mast.
          A3S Tribander on 20' mast with base rotator
          80 M Inverted V with Apex at 30' under SteppIR
          160M Inverted L at 35' over folded counterpoise (FCP)
          K9AY Pennant for rx on 160M
We are fortunate to be on a north facing ridge about 100' above sea level about
1/4 mile away which gives good takeoff and propagation to the North American
continent.
Conditions didn't seem as good as for ARRL DX CW, but held up well in our quest
to have at least one high-rate band available for the run station with some
contribution from the mult radio limited of course by the band change rule.
160M and 80M were somewhat disappointing with more noise and worse propagation
than the CW weekend causing us to miss what we would have considered easy
multipliers.
Everyone worked hard to achieve the results we had led by the WRTC skills of
Rich, NN3W who was both an inspiration and a great teacher for the rest of us.
It would appear that our claimed score achieves a new world record for M/S LP.
We will have to see how this holds up for all entries and log checking.
Thanks to all the ops who patiently waited in the huge pileups to get the VP5
mult. This was a fun and successful effort.
73,
Jim K4QPL
Rich NN3W
Gary WR3R