[3830] ARRLDX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 03:41:48 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 17.4

  160:    0     0
   80:    6     3
   40:   21    10
   20:   38    21
   15:   81    27
   10:   87    29
-------------------
Total:  233    90  Total Score = 62,910

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: 1/4 wave vertical with 3 radials
  40 & 160 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  80 Meters: Inverted L with 2 radials
Again, it is clear that we have finally passed the minimum of the sunspots and
cycle 25 is beginning. All my stats were much better than last year.

I got some sort of flu (non COVID) early Saturday AM and did almost no operating
all day, frequently wondering why I have ever bothered at all with this hobby.
But by Saturday evening, I started to feel much better and even got up at 2 AM
to work the low bands.

10 Meters was the surprise.  For the first time since the last cycle, I had my
most Qs and DXCC on 10 M!  Yet I never heard Europe. It was all the other
continents!

10 M: My best Q for the contest was V55Y, one call!  Lots of Carribean, Central
and So America and Oceania and JA.

15 M: All 24 of my European Qs were on this band.

20 M: Strangely, there appeared to be very little activity on this band!  I
never worked a single European Q here!

40 and 80 M; Just the usual local stuff. I did work JR8VSE and JH4UYB on 80. I
only tuned 160 a couple of times. The noise level seemed to be higher than usual
and that is the death of QRP operation on these bands!

See you in the WPX!   73,   Bill  W8QZA - W6QU