[3830] ARRLDX SSB WB0TEV SOUAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB WB0TEV SOUAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 21:33:21 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: WB0TEV
Operator(s): WB0TEV
Station: WB0TEV

Class: SOUAB HP
QTH: NTX
Operating Time (hrs): 19:07

  160:    9     8
   80:   37    25
   40:   82    47
   20:  193    81
   15:  189    84
   10:  215    55
-------------------
Total:  725   300  Total Score = 652,500

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

With the exception of a short run on 10m working VKs it was an entirely click
and pounce affair.  Having a solid state amp (Elecraft KPA1500) that's already
pretuned for my antennas makes instant QSY across the open bands a real treat.

Started off working nothing but mults.  A good chunk of the non-mults were South
Americans on the high bands, especially 10m.

10m was great! In addition to the tons of PY/LU/CE etc. I also worked into JA,
VK/ZL and even a little Europe on 10m from here in North Texas.  10m prop into
EU around 1700Z Saturday was on a skew path. Signals from EU peaked up when
beaming towards the Caribbean.  When I worked IO5O on 10m he confirmed that they
had made the same observation of a skewed rather than direct path to NA on 10m.

Breakdown follows.  Its been a long time since I made more QSO's on 10m than any
other band.

Band     QSOs     Pts  Cty  Pt/Q
   1.8       9      27    8   3.0
   3.5      37     111   25   3.0
     7      82     246   47   3.0
    14     193     579   81   3.0
    21     189     567   84   3.0
    28     215     645   55   3.0
 Total     725    2175  300   3.0
Score: 652,500

N1MM+ says time on was 19:07, but much of that time was wandering in and out of
the shack.   Didn't score as many band mults as in the CW contest, but still
pleased with 300.  Worked a total of 99 different countries so just barely
missed DXCC in a weekend, which I managed in the CW test.

Stations worked on all 6 bands:  PJ2T (of course!), TI7W, V26K, ZF1A, ZF5T
Stations worked on 5 bands: ED8W, IE9E, FY5KE, HI3LT, LZ5R, P40F, PJ4G, PY1NX/6,
TO3Z, V31XX, VP5M.

Many of ranted about bad spots, and I shall join that chorus.  Although I
suspect it happens evenly throughout the contest, erroneous spots are more
discernible towards the end of the contest.  When encountering an erroneous
spot, the best thing to do is respot it yourself correctly.  Doing a
OOPSCALL/BAD just clutters band maps.  If your are running and suddenly get a
flurry of dupes, its likely do to a spot with your callsign busted.  About the
only effective remedy is to QSY.  Perhaps in the next contest, someone might
wish to make a list of all the bad spots they encounter and the callsign of the
spotter.  Those spotters who do more harm than good could receive a nomination
to a hall of shame.  Everyone makes mistakes, and spots are especially welcomed
in SSB contests, but listen and try and get the calls right.

In a particularly egregious example of someone not paying attention, towards the
end of the contest I worked V31AX.  Since neither of us were going at it tooth a
nail a short rag chew ensued when I mentioned that I too had operated from
Belize as V31VP.  Imagine my surpise when I saw V31VP show up on my band map.
Some YL apparently tuned across the QSO, heard a callsign out of context and
spotted V31VP atop V31AX.  Ugh.  But compared to the war in Ukraine and the
COVID pandemic, gripes about such are small potatoes.  It's just a hobby.  Maybe
I'm a little cranky from having a sore shoulder from rotator cuff surgery.

I think I'll take next weekend off from contesting and get caught up on life
outside ham radio.

CU in WPX SSB.

Victor WB0TEV
Greenville, TX