[3830] ARRLDX SSB ZW5B(LU9ESD) SOUAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB ZW5B(LU9ESD) SOUAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 05:16:48 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: ZW5B
Operator(s): LU9ESD
Station: PY5EG

Class: SOUAB HP
QTH: Curitiba
Operating Time (hrs): 43:09
OpMode: SO2R

  160:    1     1
   80:  144    44
   40:  741    59
   20: 1439    60
   15: 1160    59
   10: 2176    60
-------------------
Total: 5661   283  Total Score = 4,806,189

Club: Araucaria DX Group

Comments:

Hi folks
First of all thanks God for fantastic propagation and also to all of you guys
for being on our log.
I had the pleasure to receive  again my friend Manu LU9ESD  to play for another
SOAB (A) attempt.
Manu won last year and came to try another victory on same category.
Something unusual happened this year 2022. Sergio PP5JR was already commited to
operate same category SOAB (A). Sergio gently offered the position for Manu, but
both decided to play both in same category.
Sergio operated with his special call PT5J, and Manu used the usual ZW5B
Sergio from his BOA VISTA CONTEST STATION was practically, during all the
contest average of 200/300 QSOs ahead.
In the last 6 hours Manu reduced drastically the diference and came with only 3
QSOs behind Sergio (5661 vs 5664). Fantastic recovery. Practically a tie. We
never imagine that.
This small difference also noted on multipliers. ZW5B 3 behind PT5J (286 X
283).
I think this is something to be checked. Some of the active constesters had two
stations from the same country, same category, same group ADXG with such
extremelly close numbers?
This coincidence can make history on contest participation - hi?
Best 73 and welcome back to good propagation on higher bands.
Oms PY5EG

(Note from Manu's Facebook page):
Once again I have to give my "Eternal Thanks" to my dear
“Uncle" Atilano De Oms PY5EG for allowing me, at the last minute, to
operate the fantastic ZW5B in SOUHP in this ARRL DX SSB.
I knew that Sergio PP5JR/PT5J (historical winner of this category and all
Single-OP categories) was going to participate this year, so Oms, true to his
principles, did not want two Araucaria DX Group stations competing against each
other.
The day before starting, I talked to Sergio and we agreed that it would be a
good new experience, and that it would be very motivating for both of us,
besides the fact that in Non-Asssisted (Nor in any other, HI!) , it is
impossible to beat the Caribbean stations from here.
Oms was finally convinced and we both entered the same category.

Honestly, I never thought it would be possible to be even close to Sergio's
score, for the simple reason that the location and antennas setup of PT5J
station in Morro da Boa Vista is really optimal and also here in ZW5B this time
would only have one antenna available  per band, since the lower antennas of the
stacks for 20, 15 and 10 were not operational, as the station is in the process
of moving.

6 hours before the end Sergio lost the internet connection and I didn't know
anything else  about his score, but the difference had stretched in the last
hours and I never thought I could even get close.
Last year experience (my first in Single Op All Band), taught me that there was
a window of 3 hours where if there was no propagation to try some multiplier in
160 and later in 80, it was lost time, so I slept those 3 hours and that
undoubtedly helped me a lot to have a final 4 hours that although they were not
of great rate, they were of a constant rhythm.

When the contest ended and Atilano showed me Sergio's result, we could not
believe it. (Watch the video of that precise moment below)
Believe me, at no time did it cross my mind that I could finish so close to him,
almost a tie in number of QSOs (5661 vs 5664), in spite of  3 multipliers below.
As Oms says: “This is something to be checked, same country, same category,
same group with so extremely close numbers? Has this happened before at any time
in the history of the radiosport?” Hi.

Things are still in place: last year after log checking I couldn't keep the PY
record that Sergio has held  since 2015, and this year he didn't let me steal it
either... hehe.

Congratulations dear brother Sergio for the fantastic operation, for not having
rested even for a minute, for your perseverance and for showing us all once
again what kind of operator and person you are.
It’s not by chance that you are the South American reference in Single Op and
whom I consider the best operator in this category.

A real pleasure and honor for me to have been able to share this experience with
you.

Thank you all for being in my log!
Manu LU9ESD @ ZW5B

Setup:

R1 IC-7800 / R2 FTdx101D with DXDoubler
Amps: 2x OM-3500A
Antennas
160: Vertical (TX), Waller Flag N4IS (RX).
80: 3 El Yagi @36m
40: 4 El Yagi @36m
20: 6 El Yagi @30m
15: 6 El Yagi @24m