[3830] ARRLDX SSB W1HS SOUAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB W1HS SOUAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2022 22:06:57 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: W1HS
Operator(s): W1HS
Station: W1HS

Class: SOUAB HP
QTH: NH
Operating Time (hrs): 24.18

  160:    0     0
   80:   35    19
   40:   69    35
   20:  296    72
   15:  253    68
   10:  137    34
-------------------
Total:  790   228  Total Score = 540,360

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Good contest with some fun propagation conditions.  90% S&P effort as I was
unable to get a run going until Sunday afternoon and wasn't able to maintain it
very long.

Low band conditions Friday night were really poor. 40m was crowded, but very
noisy.  While  I worked everyone I could hear on 80m I only managed to log 18
QSOs. There just wasn't much there to work.  After logging 100 Qs Friday night I
pulled the plug at 0345Z.

Saturday morning I was pleased to see 20m open to Europe early and was off to a
good start - then 15m and 10 opened up, which was
nice to see. I still couldn't get a run going -- couldn't find a clear frequency
on 20 and I wasn't feeling particularly strong anywhere. There were plenty of
stations to work, and at times my S&P rate was pretty decent.

Saturday night with KP index reaching 5 conditions got weird. There was a lot of
flutter and echo on signals.  40m had broadband noise across the band at regular
time intervals. Looked like static crashes on the waterfall every 5 seconds, but
I wasn't hearing the static. It was visible enough on the panadapter that I
thought someone fired up a motorboat in my shack.  I wasn't being heard by
stations in Europe.  80m was dead, pretty much no one there to work. Called it a
night at 0230z

Sunday started off slow, but was able to get Hawaii and New Zealand in the log
first thing in the morning on 40m. While I heard a few stations in Australia I
was unable to work them.   It was slow for the next few hours -- not a lot of
stations that I hadn't worked already. I was able to do a little bit of cleanup
around the shack while waiting for conditions to improve, occasionally spinning
the dial and working new stations as they showed up.

Finally early Sunday afternoon I was able to get a run frequency on 20m. It only
lasted 29 minutes but generated 52 Qs.  I could hear a lot of stations calling
at the same time, almost all of them were really weak.  I was glad that I was
able to work so many 100w stations, but I clearly need to improve my weak signal
pileup working skills. Tried everything in my bag of tricks "Who's the
Italy Zulu?" or "Who's the Echo Alpha?" Statistically speaking
there must have been one in there, so good way to thin the pile.

I was able to get another short run going 45 minutes later. Calling stations
were stronger, but the run didn't last very long, lasting just 13 minutes and
netting just 23 Qs.

Sunday afternoon conditions were best characterized as rapid QSB.  When I was
able to time things right I was able to work stations that would go from
perfectly readable to gone every 3 seconds.

Finished off the day working South America on 10m. I unfortunately had a hard
stop at 2000z, so I missed out on the improved conditions toward the end of the
contest and didn't achieve my goals for the weekend.  I did top my previous best
score in this contest, but that given some of the openings in the week prior to
the contest I had hoped that I might be able to get something that looked like
1m points / 1k QSOs.

Operating station for this contest:
     Icom 7610 with Elecraft KPA1500 amp.
     80m, 40m antenna: G5RV 102' dipole @ 50'
     20m, 15m, 10m antenna: SteppIR Urbanbeam at 35'

QSOs per DXCC (Full list)
     Brazil : 109 QSOs
     Italy : 82 QSOs
     Spain : 61 QSOs