[3830] ARRLDX SSB 9A9Z(@9A1TT) M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB 9A9Z(@9A1TT) M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2022 12:24:10 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: 9A9Z
Operator(s): 9A1TT 9A4CC 9A5MX F5SNJ KA4RLL W4IPC R0AI
Station: 9A1TT

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: JN85GV
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Remote Operation

  160:   49
   80:  461
   40:  788
   20: 1033
   15:  647
   10:    4
-------------------
Total: 2982   222  Total Score = 1,986,012

Club:

Comments:

4 youngsters and 2.5 OMs...

The recent unrest in the neighbourhood seemed to impact the interest in
participating in the contest and a few late dropouts and some (local to
op)technical issues meant we struggled to schedule 2 ops for the entire contest.
 The team pushed on anyway and had a great time.

What did we learn?

M2 is a great category for the youngsters to get on and have fun at my station.
M/S a la ARRL is basically "SO with a baton" (at least as long as we
have no in-band TX capability)... so we opted for M2 to allow more ops to RUN.
Unfortunately we're a little far from western Europe to allow for 2 real run
bands..at least that was the case with marginal conditions this weekend on the
HF bands.

There was no intra-station QRM... which is wonderful considering the distance
between the 10 thru 40m antennas is as little as 4m in some cases.

The remote technology performed almost flawlessly.. with just a little latency
here and there, leading to our exchange being cut off..as the PTT off signal was
applied prior to the sending of all audio.

We managed to pass tens of QSOs between the bands, and it was great to see how
the youngsters handled this seamlessly.

On the flip side, we saw some poor operating from neighbouring stations. I4AVG
deserves a mention. He managed to pretend he couldn't hear us for tens of
minutes on 2 separate occasions on 80m and funnily enough I caught him doing the
same to a good friend (F1UVN) later in the contest on another band.

Kudos go to a number of people and organizations without whom remote contesting
where the average distance from the station to the PC was 4237km, wouldn't be
possible.

William, F5SNJ, who managed the team schedule and planning.

Radio Klub Zagreb, where I am member, who authorised the use of contest call :
9A9Z - thank you!

RemoteHamRadio.com : who's in-the-cloud solution delivered without fault.

E71DX, Sanjin: who hosted our DXLog server.

and last but not least, the youngsters who made up 2/3 of the RUN-team and
demonstrated that a bright future for contesting in ham-radio is guaranteed!

Checkout my public Facebook posts for future invitations.  You'll note they
typically read "no previous experience required", to encourage newbies
to come discover what "driving a Porsche" is like before going bald or
grey :-)

Equipment:

RUN1 Flex 6600 + OMPower 2000A+ (max 1500w at any time)
RUN2 Flex 6600 + Flex PGXL (max 1500w at any time)
Control op / in-band RX-only partner: Flex 6300 & 30m dipole

73 Richard Riley 9a1tt