[3830] ARRLDX SSB AC4G SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ac4g@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB AC4G SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2022 02:23:02 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: AC4G
Operator(s): AC4G
Station: AC4G

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: TN
Operating Time (hrs): 18.75

  160:    0     0
   80:    2     2
   40:   44    29
   20:   86    45
   15:  145    55
   10:   40    19
-------------------
Total:  317   150  Total Score = 142,650

Club: Tennessee Contest Group

Comments:

Decided to run with 5 watts, since my amp went out in the ARRL CW DX Contest.  I
tried running, but no stations could hear me running/calling CQ, so I had to
S&P.  I did try a few times to run throughout the contest, again to no
avail.

High bands seemed to be better for low power QSO's using two Yagi’s.  On 40m
did well the first night with my Yagi, but not so good the second.  Right at my
sunset the skip was short, but soon after got long making it difficult to work
close stations in the Caribbean the second night.  The first (Friday) night I
worked many at EU sunrise with some better ease.  The noise on Saturday night at
my QTH was terrible and also just before end of contest on Sunday.  I had little
luck on 80m with 5 watts working only two (2) stations. Most could not hear me
on 80m even though I could hear the big guns in Europe, in Japan, VK/ZL on 80m
well on my receive antenna, but they could not hear my measly 5 watts.  They
were so loud one would think they could make a QSO, but "notta" with
QRP.

I typically called from 20 attempts to 50 attempts in order to make a contact on
10-80m. The competition combined with noise and my weak signal made a QSO very
difficult.  DX signals had to be S9 or stronger at signal peaks; otherwise, I
did not stand a chance at a QSO.  Also, I could not work anyone until the pile
was worked down by the DX and they had no interference from adjacent frequencies
or noise on their end which was detectable due to never being able to make the
QSO.  I was always the last to work any station in the pileup if one existed. It
was obvious some DX had lots of noise because I had to give up calling and move
on.

Early Sunday morning was very bad as well because I would give my callsign and
not many could even detect my signal on 40m as well as 80m especially just
before and after my sunrise when the noise got really terrible. I thought I
would pick up some Caribbean, but not a chance.

Thanks for the patience of those trying to make a contact and even waiting for
my turn to try to make a QSO when my partial call was announced.  QRP was tough
but enjoyed the challenge.  After a little while, I learned how to inject my
call.  At least many DX stations would come back to my partial callsign and give
me a chance.  Many did not care and a wishful QSO was toast.

I was thankful for the good propagation on 10m and 15m especially to EU/JA/VK/ZL
and strong DX signals as my gauge to make a call (S9 or greater).  Anything less
was a no-go.  Sometimes I was surprised to work a few "semi-rare" DX
stations.  It was obvious that my tuning up and down the band paid off, since I
ran across some long distant stations who first started CQing and was able to
snag them.  One was 7Q6M late Saturday afternoon on 15m when the JA's typically
come banging in.  There were several other stations with this same scenario that
gave me a chance.  Later tuning the band(s), I could hear big pileups knowing I
was glad I got them before someone probably spotted them on a cluster making a
huge pileup.

Needless to say, my voice almost gone at the end on this contest from calling so
much and I was exhausted by the end.  Nice to hear stations participating
worldwide.  Great to hear several of my fellow TCG'ers who always beat me out
even though they probably could not hear me. As always, thanks to all for the
QSOs.