[3830] VaQP N4CW SOAB/CWMobile LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] VaQP N4CW SOAB/CWMobile LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 01:38:17 +0000
                    Virginia QSO Party - 2022

Call: N4CW
Operator(s): N4CW
Station: N4CW

Class: SOAB/CWMobile LP
QTH: Mobile in VA
Operating Time (hrs): 23:11

  160:
   80:   274
   40:   399
   20:   915
   15:    84
   10:
    6:
    2:
  UHF:
----------------------------
Total:  1672    0       0  Mults = 88  Total Score = 300,636

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I was definitely "assisted" by Jim, W4TMO, in all the aspects of this
operation but for operating; that I did alone! Jim planned and drove the route
through Virginia. It was an ambitious undertaking and Jim's goal was to provide
some of the historically under-represented counties more exposure to county
hunters and contesters as best we could.
Some thoughts to share: for the participants, please be aware that going mobile
is a tough job -- the car has to be reliable, relatively r.f. "quiet"
to the mobile operator(quite a task normally, and not an easy one at
that--complicated if you're using a "hybrid"), with
as-efficient-as-you-can-get antenna(s). Then there's the route planned (you MUST
know county lines)-- just think of all those power lines that often go alongside
the road...sometimes they're noisy, VERY noisy (like 20 dB over S9), and the
noise can go on for miles!!! And the route may not always be on major
highways...like driving through the Jefferson National Forest this time with
mountain roads (talk about curves!!!!) and operating with all the turns and
stops!
Fortunately Jim's a great driver and has nerves of steel!!! Then there are
potholes, bumps, and sudden stops...ever wonder why there's a pause after you
send your call and don't get an immediate reply? Maybe it's because the mobile
operator's keyboard jumped up just while he was typing and what came out in the
call area of the log was nothing resembling the call!!! It takes time to delete
those extra characters and put in the correct ones...in worse cases, I've had
the computer or mouse go flying who-knows-where!!!!
Many thanks for all the patient ops who waited while we made occasional pit
stops for "relief" and gas/petrol. Note: if you're serious about your
score, you don't stop for lunch or dinner -- a really good trail mix is a
godsend (Jim got some at Aldi). Also, you need a cup holder nearby for
drinks...and it has to be stable!!!
Statisics follow:
Total Time On per N1MM -- 23:11
We "put on" 17 Independent cities and 44 counties
We worked 30 VA mults, 15 Countries, 46 States, and 5 Provinces
Best DX was RZ1OA (Arkhangel on the White Sea) 15 meters
Most frequent "fan" -- KA6BIM (51 Q's) followed by OM2VL, DL3DXX, and
LY5W (50 Q's)
Transceiver: Elecraft K3 with upgrades
Antennas: Tarheel screwdriver and 20M heliwhip mounted on its own rooftop
groundplane (sheet aluminum affixed to 1/2" fiberboard on roof rack).
Power supplied by RX450's battery system. Noise suppression by W4TMO!!!
Thanks for your patience and perseverance y'all...N4CW