[3830] WPX SSB VO1HP SOSB10 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, invl160@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB VO1HP SOSB10 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 12:31:54 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: VO1HP
Operator(s): VO1HP
Station: VO1HP

Class: SOSB10 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 5
Remote Operation

------------
  160:    0
   80:    0
   40:    1
   20:    0
   15:   17
   10:   41
------------
Total: 8748  Prefixes = 54  Total Score = 8,748

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

SSB contests are not my cup-a-tea but I had intended to play Single Band 10M
using my remote in the hope of picking up a few new entities.  My plans were
dashed when on my first call Sat morning I discovered that I had no mic audio. I
have been using the same CM500 for several years and it has been dropped many
times so figured it had finally died. Diagnosis of the problem took all day
interleaved with side attempts to make FSK work on my TS590SG. Another project!

I finally discovered late that the mic bias on the side mic jack on the K3 Mini
was ZERO. After a period of disbelief I realized that I had an outboard bias box
that came with the CM500.  I finally found it and verififed that the headset was
working OK.  By then I had lost interest in the contest and gave up for the
day.
A side benefit to the bias problem is that I learned that the mic bias for the
Mini comes from the Remote Rig 1258 box.  There is bias voltage on pin 6 of the
8 pin mike connector on the front panel but not on the side mic jack.  Oh yes
the bias when working, appears on the TIP and not the RING!  Another discovery.

My first contact was Sunday 1500 but my interest was very low so I just wandered
in and out of the shack all day despite conditions being great with wall to wall
strong signals on 10 and 15.

73 Frank VO1HP