[3830] WPX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, wparker2@san.rr.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB W6QU(W8QZA) SOAB QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2022 15:55:04 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: W6QU
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: W8QZA

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: San Diego, CA
Operating Time (hrs): 30.7

------------
  160:    1
   80:   14
   40:   27
   20:   65
   15:  131
   10:   77
------------

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

STATION W8QZA:

Radio: Elecraft K-2, 5 Watts.

Antennas:
  10-15-20 Meters: 3 el Stepp-IR up 32 feet
  40 Meters: 1/4 wave vertical with 3 radials
  40 & 160 Meters: DX-LB trap dipole up 30 feet
  80 Meters: Inverted L with 2 radials

For me, this was the "break out" contest of Cycle 25.  Lots of Qs (for
me) peppered with an occasional thrilling QSO to keep me really awake.

DXCC was 51 and WAZ 25. I had 37 European Qs, compared to 2 last year!

10 M: But still no Europe heard out here. One D4Z Q and enough prefixes in South
America to keep those red check marks going in the right column of N1MM+.

15 M: I was stunned to find FR4KR calling CQ with no callers. Got her in two
calls. Also, this band was the European workhorse.

20 M: Got UP0L coming over the pole late at night.

40 M: I got ZS6CCY. That is almost half way around the world using 5 watts and a
trap dipole that is only 30 feet high in the middle and drops down on either
end. Maybe his 4 element Yagi at 120 feet has something to do with that...!!!

80 M: All local USA.  Only DX was NH6T.

160 M: After many visits to 160, N7GP finally dug me out ot the mud for my only
Q. Thanks!!!

At age 82, I have given up trying to go without sleep. Got only 4 hours the
first night but had to make up for it quickly with 7 hours the second night! I
also make a point of walking 1/2 mile or so a few times a day when activity gets
light. It keeps those pulmonary emboli to a miinimum!

Well that is almost the end of the contest season. See you at end of May for WPX
CW.   73,  ...Bill  W8QZA - W6QU