[3830] WPX SSB N8II SOSB15 Unassisted Classic LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@aol.com
Subject: [3830] WPX SSB N8II SOSB15 Unassisted Classic LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2022 22:27:28 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB - 2022

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOSB15 LP
Class Overlay: Unassisted Classic
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 17.3

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:
   20:
   15:  640
   10:   25
------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Conditions were definitely better than ARRL DX, but still poor to JA. I had QRN
most of the weekend, really bad for a while late Saturday when the wind gusts
exceeded 40 MPH a few times. Condx to EU were good enough that the noise was not
that much of a factor. In the first hour I worked D4Z, a few Caribbean stations
as far north as HI, many southern SA, and USA stations mainly near the west
coast. K9CT was booming on Es the first 20 minutes. ZL4AS called me at 0057Z.
The band died right around 01Z. I was able to run some EU stations Saturday
morning with good signal levels with some 2 minute or more gaps at times. HS0ZCW
about S8 called at 1337Z for a nice surprise. I also logged E2, E22, YB2, and
YB1 Saturday all with good signals. JW7QIA was my first northern EU QSO at
1407Z. Condx were generally poor to northern EU until about 1430Z, then fair but
not many logged. I worked A44 and A61 from the Middle East. By 16Z, EU signals
and activity were declining. Just some EU big guns and SW EU were left after
18Z. OH6 had a good signal at 1922Z and Scandinavians had an opening that lasted
a while but few heard . I ran NA stations at 1936Z with the run no longer
productive after only 15 minutes. In the 20Z hour there were still EU stations
calling CQ from Italy across to EI/EA. Through the afternoon most of the
Caribbean/SA activity must have moved up to 10M, not as many worked as hoped
for. Southern SA was not very strong. Through the evening, only 6 Japanese
stations were logged, conditions were poor. BA3MM had a good signal at 2331Z; a
BY3 just down the band could not copy me. I finished day one with 352 QSO's.

Sunday conditions were better to most areas with many booming Europeans; SE
Asia/OC was worked (YB2), but signals were not as loud. I was able to keep a run
going with decent but not high rate for about 85 minutes. 83 Q's were worked
from 1310-1400Z. At 1539Z to relieve the unproductive S&P, I tried 10M with
a booming H25A first in log. 4X6,V51,ZS6,D4,FR4 and 9G5 were also worked. 5
continents went into the log in short order: AS,AF,EU,NA, and SA. Back on 15,
VU3ESV called me at 1613Z. What was left of EU was worked out by 18Z. Skip was
as short as Florida to the south allowing easy QSO's with Cuba. Running NA was
less than hoped for, but added to the score. Late afternoon skip shortened up
into W5, but few 0's were worked. VJ4T was logged at 2003Z for only Aussie heard
all weekend. OH6QU called in at 2242Z with a loud signal, but the JA opening was
not to be again with only a lone JF9 logged in last hour.

I'm conflicted on the CQ decision to ban Russia and Belarus from their
contests.
I'm certain that many of their hams are not in favor of what is happening in
Ukraine. This is sort of an asterisk year; my score would have probably been
8-12% higher with their presence along with Ukraine. 15M for several hours is
now the best band into EU and the Caribbean. Many thanks for the calls and
QSO's.

73, Jeff