[3830] NMQP KK6MC/M Mobile Solo Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] NMQP KK6MC/M Mobile Solo Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2022 17:21:57 +0000
                    New Mexico QSO Party - 2022

Call: KK6MC/M
Operator(s): KK6MC
Station: KK6MC/M

Class: Mobile Solo Op LP
QTH: mobile
Operating Time (hrs): 4.7

  160:
   80:
   40:   77
   20:  375
   15:
   10:
    6:
    2:
----------------------------
Total:  452     0       0  Mults = 51  Total Score = 147,208

Club: New Mexico Big River Contesters

Comments:

Score includes the bonus county activation points; 11 counties at 5,000 per
county. Yes, that is more than a third of my score.

This was a good contest with lots of activity. I have been working this contest
since its modern reincarnation and remember the days of worrying whether or not
I could eek out the 15 required QSOs per county to get the bonus points. Those
days are over, and while not at the OK QSO Party level of activity, there was
nearly always someone to work, and QSOs were put in the log at a steady rate.

NM Counties are large, so one has to balance operating time with travel time. I
spent more time traveling than I did operating. Virginia often comes with me and
drives, but she had a prior commitment. When she drives that helps immensely,
but puts me in a different category.

It was very windy, but warm; typical of NM this time of year.  I had no
equipment problems. Gas was generally lower than it has been, but still high.
Most of the spots I operated from had low noise, which is a joy, but the TOR/GUA
county line had high, S3, noise on 40M. They are building a new power substation
on the SMI/SFE county line, which may make that bad in the future. But there
were several sites I could operate from that had no power lines visible and it
is very nice to only experience natural noise sources on HF.

I ran 100W to my home-brew QSO Party Special mobile antenna, 11 feet in length,
which puts the top a little over 12 ft from the pavement, all on/in a Subaru
Outback. It seems to get out well.

Thanks to the stations who followed me around from county to county, especially:
N6MU, K9RS, W7GF, WB9HFK, and W1AJT.