[3830] MiQP N4XL Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, knason00@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] MiQP N4XL Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2022 04:18:48 +0000
                    Michigan QSO Party - 2022

Call: N4XL
Operator(s): N4XL
Station: N4XL

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs): 8.5

   80:   26     12
   40:   34     26
   20:   13     17
   15:    0      0
   10:    0      0
--------------------
Total:   73     55  CW Mults = 146  Ph Mults = 64  Total Score = 14,700

Club: Swamp Fox Contest Group

Comments:

Slow start for first 3 hours. Bands poor. 10 and 15 too long. 20 weak. 40 barely
heard anything. Had to fight for most q's and used preamp on 20. Only HP
stations seemed to do well. Heard one Q end with S&P op saying "Thank
God for amplifiers." As a LP station I completely understood. Took a break
as physical issues threatened to keep me out of the chair for the end. Stretched
leg out which helped me and bands improved slightly when came back at 2000 UTC.
20 almost completely dead, but 40 beginning to open. It stayed open throughout
the remainder.

Shack did pretty good. Still having pesky antenna trips, but far less
frequently. Also had a failed bias tee on my inverted-L which kept me off 80
meters for the 20 minutes it took me to troubleshoot and arrange battery backup
power to the remote tuner. I'd forgotten, but smart me had considered that
possibility. I had made up a pigtail through the tuner weatherproof enclosure
with end connectors for a small sealed battery. All I had to do was remove the
bias tee and connect the pigtail. The "7 P's" came through... Proper
Prior Planning Prevents Pretty Poor Performance.

Spent some time playing with Touch Portal and setting it up for QP operation.
That is a great little program.

Thank you Mad River Radio Club for a great QP.

Kevan N4XL