[3830] 50SprngSprnt VE1SKY Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve1sky@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] 50SprngSprnt VE1SKY Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 15 May 2022 13:43:47 +0000
                    50 MHz Spring Sprint - 2022

Call: VE1SKY
Operator(s): VE1SKY
Station: VE1SKY

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN74iu
Operating Time (hrs): 3.5

Club:

Comments:

Enjoyed participating in the 2022 Spring Sprint using just a bit over LP.  This
is about the only contest  I do anymore.  The four hour format is great.  Much
more suited to my lifestyle.

I didn't start until 23:40 and it was quiet  Worked W1VD and K1DY.  A few
minutes later N0ACK in EN44 showed up.  K8OM,K0DAS,N4SVC,KB0Y and several others
over 1300 miles were logged over the 3.5 hours.  W4GX in EL98, at 1410 miles,
was the farthest from my Nova Scotia QTH.

During the 'best' of the changing propagation, FT4, at twice the FT8 speed,
would have increased the Q rate before the quick fades.  I looked at 50.318, but
was surprised I didn't see any contest mode FT4 being used at all.  Ron,WZ1V at
only 446 mi wasn't workable SSB or FT8.  Mikie, K8ROX wasn't do-able either as
the prop faded in the waning last hour.  I suggested meteor-scatter and worked
them both in surprisingly short order.  Ed,WA3DRC worked me just before the
gong, but by that time there were very few FT8 signs at all.  Several more
stations could have been worked when the propagation fell off by trying
meteor-scatter, a mode that does not rely on ionospheric density.

Thanks to the Spring Sprints organizers for the good event that also leaves time
for Spring fly-fishing.

          FT8     32 QSOs
          MSK144   2 QSOs

73