[3830] WPX CW N4XD SOAB Unassisted LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ron.spencer@zoho.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW N4XD SOAB Unassisted LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 00:00:28 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: N4XD
Operator(s): N4XD
Station: N4XD

Class: SOAB LP
Class Overlay: Unassisted
QTH: NM
Operating Time (hrs): 24.5

------------
  160:    0
   80:    8
   40:  197
   20:  420
   15:  214
   10:   20
------------

Club: Smithchart ARS

Comments:

First time contesting from some property I bought in central NM. SE of
Albuquerque in the high dessert at around 6100'. Fortunately, the fires are no
where near this property.

Up until couple weeks ago didn't have power so it was a pleasure to plug stuff
into outlets and not have to run the generator. Spoiled!

Antennas at a 6btv vertical which I used for 10 and 80 and then inverted V's at
40' for 40 and 20 (40 obviously also works on 15). Also have a 500' beverage
which surprised me by being effective all the way down to 15. BIG help.

While I've no experience operating from here I am pretty sure conditions were
not optimal. LOTS of aurora flutter on even stateside signals. Had to be
difficult for folks to copy my low signal with that!

I did enjoy nice conditions around 6PM local on 20. Actually, mostly, able to
hold a frequency and have some rate. A little later same on 40. That was a
pleasant surprise as was my finishing Q total. While not impressive compared to
others I am happy with the results for just a bit more than 24 hours.

Friday of the contest I had the K3 apart to add a recently purchased internal
tuner. Probably not the best strategy just before a contest but it went well and
it was a very appreciated addition. Happy to have it.

Blowing wind here played a bit of havoc on the antennas but they all stayed up
and mostly worked well. One guy on the mast broke but since the wind is coming,
again mostly, from one direction I was able to move one of the remaining guys to
hold the mast. Will repair when wind dies down (30 to 40 mph now!). Glad it
stayed up.

Took a little time to get familiar with the K3 again as the home (NC) rig is an
Anan 7000. Performed, as I expected, VERY well. Either its very quiet here or,
because of the compromise antennas it just seems like it. But, except for the
wind whipping the coax around (mid contest I secured it) the noise floor, even
with the preamps on, was near zero. VERY NICE.

Next trip out will, hopefully, have a plan to get an antenna up for 160. There
are NO trees on or near the property which prevents a challenge on what to put
up.

Thank you all for hanging with me for multiple repeats. I appreciate you
patience.

Thanks CQ for sponsoring the contest.

Equipment
K3