[3830] WPX CW KE2D SOAB TB-Wires HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW KE2D SOAB TB-Wires HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 01:40:16 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: KE2D
Operator(s): KE2D
Station: KE2D

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: New Jersey
Operating Time (hrs): 17:27

------------
  160:
   80:  108
   40:  440
   20:  283
   15:   75
   10:   22
------------
Total:  928  Prefixes = 605  Total Score = 1,836,175

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

I didn't have as much time to devote this years as last. I wasn't impressed with
conditions.  Not what I was hoping for given some much better propagation
recently. On Saturday afternoon the SFI was 117 with an A index of 17. By
Saturday evening the SFI was down to 102 and the A was at 24. When the contest
ended the A had fallen back to 15 but the SFI was ony 98. Better than conditions
in some recent years but I was hoping for something more exciting. No fabulous
10m openings and I worked only a few Europe on 15m.  Maybe I was on at the wrong
times. I did hear a fairly nice enhancement on 80m on Saturday night during
sunrise in Europe and managed to add a bunch of 6 pt. contacts.

On Friday, about two hours before the start, we had a local thunderstorm come
through.  I thought we were in the clear.  My Bose noise cancelling headphones
are so good they drowned out the thunder from the second round of storms. It
wasn't until I noticed how loud the static crashes were around 12:30 am that I
checked the weather radar.  When I saw how close the storm was I had to QRT
immediately.

I observed something I thought was unusual late on Saturday night. After I had
done what I could to drain the swamp on 80m and 40m, I noticed that the N1MM
available window showed a bunch of stations on 20m. This was 12:30 AM EDT (0430
UTC). I went there and found I could still hear some stations in Europe but they
were not very strong. For no particular reason, I switched in the northeast
beverage antenna (570') and was amazed how much clearer they were. It was
dramatic.  Subjectively I'd put it at about 15-20 dB S/N improvement Usually the
beverage is of no use on 20m. I made a recording of this because it seemed so
unusual. I did manage to work a handful of them and also some stations on the
U.S. west coast and the Pacific at the same time.