[3830] WPX CW KL7RA M/M HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, sbloom@acsalaska.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW KL7RA M/M HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 18:56:58 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: KL7RA
Operator(s): NC6K WB2TQE KL5T KL7SB
Station: KL7RA

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Nikiski, AK
Operating Time (hrs): 48

------------
  160:
   80:    8
   40:  554
   20: 1360
   15: 1135
   10:   49
------------

Club:

Comments:

Serious contesters know that the most important things for maximizing success
is, good propagation, enough operators for the chosen category, preparing the
station ahead of time to minimize in contest issues.

We did the exact opposite for this one.  I was away for most of May, and when I
got back I was ill, and of course, being the tough Alpha male I am, ignored it
for too long.  Prep work was zero, and by the time contest time came around, I
was a zombie (though a very Alpha Male one.)  Wigi also got knocked out by
health stuff.  Oh, did I mention that I really didn't have any time to recruit
ops, other than my reliable ex Lon Guylanders, Eric NC6K and Howard WB2TQE, plus
my neighbor Kent KL5T.

As for conditions, they were just .. bad .. this far North.  High kP for pretty
much the whole thing.  Given my lack of ability to muster enough working
synapses to strategize, let alone worry about band changes, we chose the
category of "What the hell, we're not gonna win anyway, hobo Multi
Multi" mostly with 3 ops, though I managed to contribute some on Sunday.
In one sense, 9.25K isn't much of a M/M score, in another it's absolutely
miraculous.  I think we came close to the legendary "create your own
propagation."  Kent, Howard, and Eric were machines!

73
Steve KL7SB