[3830] WPX CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB Unassisted HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB Unassisted HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2022 06:02:45 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW - 2022

Call: WX0B
Operator(s): AD5Q
Station: WX0B

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: Unassisted
QTH: Dallas
Operating Time (hrs): 26.15
OpMode: 2BSIQ

------------
  160:    0
   80:    0
   40:  351
   20:  932
   15:  887
   10:   62
------------

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

This contest was a beta test for 2BSIQ functionality. The goal was to complete
and test an algorithm for a more automated approach, because I don't like the
two keyboard ergonomics. I had no assurance that my approach was workable, and
didn't want to crash and burn in the major fall and winter contests
experimenting with it. The WPX seemed the ideal event to practice with. I was
prepared to shut down operations to debug and tweak software, and really did
cast all concern about score to the wind. There were two goals: 1) Get the
algorithm working as conceived 2) Gain proficiency and confidence in using it
well enough to substantially enhance future contest efforts. I succeeded.

There was a 2nd ongoing problem which interfered with this: Over the past few
years, WinTest has become extremely unstable for us. The app locks and freezes
the screen - many many times per contest. Each contest is worse than the one
before. This would be easy to isolate if it were a bug in my code (e.g. infinite
loop), but I lean toward thinking I am the only one with the problem because of
the amount of scripting I use with WinTest to automate the station (and protect
Jay's amps). Nearly every keystroke invokes some kind of script. So I suspect
memory issues with the interpretive language (LUA) engine that must reorganize
available memory, certainly, much more frequently. I could kick myself for not
trying at least an hour of this contest in low power. An improvement would have
indicated an RFI issue, which hasn't been ruled out.

So what happened, about 2 or 3 hundred times, was that the WinTest app would
randomly lock and its screen would glaze over. Sometimes I would need to
complete an existing contact via paddle, and more often had to scribble unsaved
Qso information to paper, restart WinTest, then enter the copied information in
the log. It was always WinTest that crashed - never Windows. This cost me about
a minute each time, about every 5 or 10 Q's (and sometimes after only one). I
was able to keep my frequency the majority of time, but did loose many -
sometimes the runs on both radios. So I was usually unable to sustain my runs. I
really need to fix WinTest - or replace it with a program with a more solid
(compiled) scripting language. So right now, that is Priority One.

And so, by Saturday afternoon I was actually confident that my 2BSIQ skills were
up to speed for future contests, but also frustrated with all the interruptions.
I took a time out at 2043z that ended up being over 15 hours, missing the entire
2nd night's activity. I checked my looping for situations that could lock,
checked the forums for others with stability issues, slept, and basically didn't
want to get back into it. But on Sunday morning I did, and stayed til the end
with just one break - ending with just over 26 hours of op time and 1,702 2BSIQ
contacts. My goal was over 2000, but that would have been across 36 hours. I was
on that pace. Of the 26 hours, just over 19 were 2BSIQ, but also figure at least
200 minutes of down time (out of the 26) during the app crashes. A total of only
25 pounce contacts were made (23 were with the 2nd radio -- SO2R). I plan a more
modest and strategic use of this new tool in the future. 100% 2BSIQ works if you
are the only op in the world with a DX mult everyone needs.

The all time record for 2BSIQ contacts in the WPX CW is held by LZ5DB (@ LZ5R)
for 2020. Not sure anyone has seen these rankings, but I do data mining of
Cabrillos. Here are the statistics for the last 5 years of "dueling"
(2BSIQ + conventional dueling CQ) for the WPX CW:

https://www.qth.com/ad5q/Stuff/WPX_Duel.pdf

Roy -- AD5Q