[3830] ARRL Dig N4SVC M/S LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL Dig N4SVC M/S LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2022 13:34:40 +0000
                    ARRL Digital Contest - 2022

Call: N4SVC
Operator(s): K4SME KD4AMP N2CEI AA5DK N4FRM
Station: N4SVC

Class: M/S LP
QTH: EM80
Operating Time (hrs): 36

------------
  160:    0
   80:    0
   40:   75
   20:  501
   15:  400
   10:   30
    6:    0
------------
Total: 1006  Total Score = 9,828

Club:

Comments:

SRI, did not jot down the exact band break down before leaving the station last
night, just the totals. The above totals  are Guesstimates. But 20M did exceed
15M, made some QSOs on 10 M but in the slow FT-8 fashion. Do remember aprox. 75
Q's on 40M. Looked at 80M once or twice but 20M was open all night and was
producing at a good rate.  Glad the Sub bands were utilized  more than they were
in the WW DIGI. And, as for contesting, FT-4 Rocks! Only went to FT-8 when it
slowed down and only S&Ped so to get the Grid Square in the log. Having the
"$DXCALL" option with various signal reports in the TX5 buffer helped
with the "Sequence Hang-ups"   After all, we are Hams! We do what ever
you got to do to get the Q!! Used a couple of other tricks learned  through VHF
contesting with WSJT and logged directly to N1MM. N1MM even kept the Average
points per QSO record and we were pushing for  10 per  and a 1000 Q's.  Made one
goal!
Now, with a multi-op effort, sitting around waiting for your Turn with One
Transmitter  is very Boring. But, I did clean out the workshop area so it was
positive but since the rules allow a SO2R operation, (for the "Self
Abusers" on the Bands!)  why not a Multi-Two Class? And keep it LOW POWER!
Also The 10 band change rule for the Multi-single stations? First , It doesn't
exist for the SO2R's And to boot, the rule has no merit. We are not chasing
Multipliers. To make a decision to go after a higher point QSO after a band
change compared to staying on the same band  and working 2-3 more lower point
QSO's is not mathematically worth it. We changed bands often in the last 3-4
hours of the contest between 15 and 20M and mostly in the S&P mode after
watching the non operating band for QSO build up while the band in operation
"Dried Up". We then made the switch  but we could never get near
exceeding the limit. We didn't switch to snag a mult, we switched to keep the
QSO rate higher and would stay on the band for 20-30 Mins and then switch back.
So-- just an unnecessary rule in our opinion.
ALSO-- did not spend much time on 10M (maybe 30-35 Q's) There was plenty of FT-8
activity. Never looked at 6M. Why? When limited to a single band of operation,
you want to keep the QSO rate. You are chasing Points, not Mults! Maybe with a
Multi-two, you would take a look.
And-- Must have been real boring if you were a Technician Class operator. We
have some in our club and it is incentive for them to be able to operate  under
the club call and learn, then up grade. For some one at their home station, the
can not learn very much if there isn't any competition. There should be a
"Technician" class and they should only be allowed to operate in it
two years.
Just a thought!
Anyway, Fun Contest, you can operate and socialize. Great for a Club!

Steve