[3830] ARRL June VHF K1DY Single Op-All Modes HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, callbill@hotmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K1DY Single Op-All Modes HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2022 19:29:52 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  174   119  Total Score = 21,896

Club:

Comments:

Whew, Well I had a bunch of stuff to do both days so it was a stretch to get in
even my 8 hours of operating time. In that 8 hours 6 meters was always open
somewhere, North America, Europe (and nearby Northern Africa and west Asia), and
South America. I saw Korea and Japan Sunday afternoon, but had to leave the
shack and they were gone when I got back.. So for me this was truly a SIX METER
contest. It was hard to justify leaving 6 as the q's and grids just kept piling
up!! I made about half my 6M qso's on SSB and half on FT8 with all of the phone
contacts being in the continental US. All the DX was on FT8. A half an hour
before I quit Sunday evening I went to 2M/222/432 and announced on ON4KST chat
to give my grid to some of the "regulars". That was all on SSB...

I will say this, I made 80+ 6M qso's in an hour on SSB. My guess is 40 new
grids. It took the rest of the time (6 hours+)to make 80 Q's on 6M FT8, though I
worked a few more grids on FT8.. That certainly confirmed, to me anyway, that
when the band is OPEN it's much more efficient to be on phone (and if you want
to hunt grids, or work DX, FT8 is probably the place!! I did have to remember to
get out of NA contest mode when working DX on 6, that incompatibility was a bit
of a pain.

Anyway I had fun and thanks to all who got on! - bill K1DY in central Maine