[3830] ARRL June VHF KR1ST Single Op-All Modes HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, alex@kr1st.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF KR1ST Single Op-All Modes HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2022 00:28:22 +0000

     Beko HLV-1000 (222)
     Gemini 70 1k (432)
     Gemini 23 (1296)
Ant: M2 6M3 (50)
     M2 2M9SSB (144)
     M2 222-10EZ (222)
     M2 432-6WL (432)
     Wimo SHF-2367 (1296)

This was mostly a semi casual effort. Given the conditions I should have done
much better. But as usual, I go for maximum fun as I see these VHF+ contest
mostly as activity generating events. Maximum fun for me means actual QSOs,
experiments, working folks mountain top portable, taking the time to talk to
folks about what is going on, and no chat pages nor Slack. Sure, that doesn't
make for high QSO rates, but does wonders for my sanity and perhaps will inspire
someone to try their hand at weak signal operations by having an actual
conversation with them.

Of course 6m was the band to be on, and VUCC in a weekend was a distinct
possibility this time around, much like in 2020. On Saturday I worked a few EU
stations, but mostly US, following a familiar pattern starting to FL and then
moving West, including some double hop Es. On Sunday there was a nice opening to
southwest when suddenly EU started popping in. I swung the beam around and
worked mostly EU on FT8, but also many on FT4. It was great to be able to
include the Ukraine in the log. FT4 could easily become my fave mode on VHF as
it resembles the speed of RTTY. Much less boring and frustrating than FT8. It
seems to me that many more folks were on FT4 in 2020 than this time around (176
vs. 92 Q's). FT4 much more reliable on short openings and fast changing
conditions. A nice surprise was an opening, I assume tropo, on 2m to TX on
Sunday afternoon. The propagation path was laser sharp. All the stations I
worked were within 2 degrees from each other.

It was great talking to old friends, make new ones, and generate some RF on the
bands I enjoy the most. Thank you everyone for the Q's. I hope to work you again
in the CQWW VHF in July.

73,
--Alex KR1ST

68% digtal