[3830] ARRL June VHF K8GP(@W8ZN) Limited Multi-Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K8GP(@W8ZN) Limited Multi-Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2022 01:40:22 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2022

Call: K8GP
Operator(s): W8ZN K1RA K3MM W4XP N2NAR
Station: W8ZN

Class: Limited Multi-Op HP
QTH: Virginia
Operating Time (hrs): 27

    6:  656   266
    2:  237    61
  222:   49    22
  432:   99    40
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total: 1041   389  Total Score = 462,132

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

K1RA & N2NAR 50 MHz ops, K3MM 144 MHz op, W4XP 222 MHz op and W8ZN 432 MHz
op @W8ZN FM09te QTH. We had interesting propagation across the bands throughout
the weekend. We had a handful of station issues just before and during the
contest including a broken 432 rotator connector on the roof, failing 222 &
432 MHz transverters and blown MOSFET switch in the 144 MHz SSPA, but eventually
managed to keep everyone operating. 50 MHz was the big band including DX FT8
QSOs with Eastern and Western Europe, Central America, Carribean, Asia and all
parts of the US.  Best 50 MHz DX to the east was UW8SM KN28 (5000mi) and west
JE6AZU PM51 (7250mi). We were spotted by and copied BA4SI PM01 (7450mi) and R6KA
KN75 (5300mi) on FT8 but no 2-ways. 144 MHz best DX was W5AFY EM04 (1200mi) on
FT8 eSkip along with 5 other EM1x grids on FT8 eSkip too.  222 MHz best DX was
K9MRI EN70 (365mi) and 432 MHz best DX was WA9DU EM69 (465mi).  It was nice to
work SSB and CW on 50 MHz running several small pileups throughout the weekend.
We hope the analog only category continues to keep participation up on that
mode.  Also it was great to finally see people using FT4 on Sunday afternoon on
50 MHz.  We had a few 3 QSOs per minute on that mode vs. 1 QSO every 1-2 minutes
on FT8. Of course neither of those modes could beat both S&P and CQ/running
stations on 50 MHz at times reaching 4-5 per minute.  No EME this contest, but
hopefully in future operations.  Also we're looking to get a few permanent
towers built and get the K8GP rover back out on the road where it belongs vs.
being just an antenna support on site. A BIG thanks to my wife, K4MEP for once
again preparing lots of food to keep us going. See attached pix of the station
(photos K1RA) and more at https://photos.app.goo.gl/KVKbpb4izH6jGAg18