[3830] ARRL June VHF K1TEO Single Op-All Modes HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF K1TEO Single Op-All Modes HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 13:56:40 +0000
                    ARRL June VHF Contest - 2022

Call: K1TEO
Operator(s): K1TEO
Station: K1TEO

Class: Single Op-All Modes HP
QTH: FN31/CT
Operating Time (hrs): 23.5
OpMode: SO2R

    6:  672   206
    2:  230    54
  222:   72    33
  432:   92    37
  903:   34    21
  1.2:   46    20
  2.3:   25    17
  3.4:    8     8
  5.7:    7     5
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total: 1186   401  Total Score = 653,630

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

Late submissions to 3830 as after the contest I was up at 3:30 AM Monday morning
for a trip to CA, then Philly and finally home late last night. Forgot to bring
my results with me in the rush to crank the 3 towers down, get some sleep and
rush out to get to the airport, hi!

Reasonably good condx on 6M though not as good as many other parts of the
country. Both evenings we had good openings with nice runs on SSB. 2M and up
condx ranged from a little below average to about average throughout the
weekend. I did work 4 stations on 2M Es Sunday night - one on SSB and 3 on FT8.
FT8 was frustrating because I decoded another half dozen Es Stations on 2M most
for many xmssions but couldn't break through. Most of these stations were +
signal levels so quite workable. Best DX copied (though not worked) was W5AFY in
EM04.

Murphy was around for a good part of the weekend, especially impacting the 6M
results as I was off for at least 3.5 hours of very good openings. On Saturday
the 2M connection between the rotor jumper and feedline from the shack fried.
It'd had been in use for at least 7 years with no issues. That required 1.5
hours to crank down the tower, tilt it over, find and fix the issue and put it
all back up. All while 6 was wide open. And I missed 3 key rover skeds in that
timeframe. But it made sense to fix it otherwise I would have been off 2M the
rest of the contest (this was about 2300Z on Saturday).

Sunday my computer clock was slightly off (tnx K2LNS for the tip!). When I went
to fix it the clock got way off - it started 0.82 seconds off. That's when I
found out that the easy fixes I'd used in the past didn't work. 2 Hours later,
and a lot of frustration a web search finally found a program that could fix it.
That was during some really good condx to EU. This time I did work a few rovers
while trying to find the fix.

And lastly my 10G xvtr, just put up on Thursday, failed early Saturday evening.
Never made a contact on the band. That was disappointing.

On the plus side, a lot of work to get 3400 Mhz going paid off as everything
seemed to work well, albeit there weren't a lot of stations on the band yet. And
5G worked better than it had in recent prior contests.

One thing I haven't seen noted - I worked at least a dozen EU stations on FT8
that never gave the grid. They went right to message 2 and a signal report. We
completed for FT8 purposes but without a grid I couldn't log them for the
contest.

Tnx for the Q's and hopefully 6M will cooperate agn during the CQWW and tropo
condx will improve for 222+ and the Sept contest!

Jeff K1TEO