[3830] ARRL FD N8II 1D LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD N8II 1D LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2022 18:45:23 +0000

  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

There was a paradigm shift this year with the permanent new rule that 1D QSO's
count for 1D stay at home operators. Many more stayed at home. For me, it is
much more enjoyable to take the easy way out and use the yagis to run many
stations vs. the heat and struggling with much poorer antennas.

As you can tell from the score, 20M SSB was basically a bottomless pit of
callers for me this year much like 2020 during the first year of the pandemic.
Conditions for working the USA were poor much of Saturday with little or no
sporadic E. From 2100Z-2340Z the skip zone was very long on 20 with STX and CO
about as close as I could work at times. Around 2340Z, there was some Es to the
west and signals increased from the far west 6's and 7's. The number of stations
active from ID (15 Q's), CO (49), MN (59), LAX (23), and BC (14) were higher
than expected. The BC guys take their outings seriously perhaps due to the
milder climate in June with many 4A and higher stations worked.

Sunday morning started for me at 1316Z with a good run of previously unreachable
on 20M W2's, W1's and Eastern Canada (worked all eastern provinces) thanks to
sporadic E. I caught 10 at the right time at 14Z with the Es extending from all
Gulf Coast stations around to MN, but activity was somewhat low. I still had a
steady stream of upper Midwest stations calling me on 20 SSB at 16Z and finished
with a 20M SSB pile up right until 18Z. QRM high in the band on 20 SSB was not
much an issue with often almost none. Considering conditions which were worse
than the last 3 years overall, it was nice to top 1000's in 10-1/4 hours.

Thanks for all of the calls/QSO's. There was some of the usual bad behavior
borne mainly of contest inexperience, but overall it went pretty well. The
biggest pain
was needles repeating of exchange.

73, Jeff