[3830] ARRL FD AE6JV 1E QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ae6jv@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD AE6JV 1E QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 03:30:22 +0000

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  211     18      6  Total Score = 2,515

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

2022 Field Day

I tried to pick up the field day bulletin Friday on digital at 0100z. I got a
very strong PSK signal on 40M (being in southern New Hampshire), but didn’t
hear an RTTY or MFSK signals. I also got a good SSB signal at 0145z on 80M. I do
have enough to support having received the bulletin, so I should be happy I
guess.

I am entertaining the thought that some SNAFU killed the other two digital
modes.

The ARRL seems to be continuing its tradition of sending the digital modes in a
different order than their field day documentation says they will send them. The
PSK signal started shortly after 0100z. They said the order was RTTY, PSK, and
MFSK. Oh well.

Being too lazy to set up antennas etc. for category 1B, I entered in category 1E
with some pre-charged batteries to supply my Emergency Power. I used two Bioenno
LiFePO4 batteries, a 40AH battery as the main battery and a 6AH as a secondary.
I ran my station consisting of a K3, a P3, a small SVGA display, and a home-brew
automatic antenna switch based on an Arduino. I also used the battery to charge
the MacBook Pro which started at 100% and ended at 5% via a 115v inverter. The
40AH battery lasted almost 13 hours of operation         before it shut itself
down. I finished the event on the 6AH battery.

I used RUMlogNG as a logging program.

Band conditions seemed pretty good. I looked for signals on 160M, but didn't
find any. Being a solo operation, I had my hands full with HF and ignored VHF
and above.

I had an interesting and annoying glitch. Several times (five or ten), I found
my K3 was in Test mode -- a mode where everything works, but no RF output is
produced. It's hard to search and pounce when there is no RF output. Using the
front panel to get out of test mode always worked. I have no idea what caused
this anomaly but I suspect a command to enter test mode came from the computer.

For me, the highlight of the event was managing a QSO with my old club, the West
Valley Amateur Radio Association operating as K6EI. I had managed a 40M CW QSO
with W6YX which was 4F SCV. Since the club was set up in SCV and W6YX had a
strong signal, I guessed I might be able eke out a both-way QRP QSO with W6EI,
so I went looking for them. We completed the QSO with lots of celebratory dits.