[3830] ARRL FD W6KO 2B LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD W6KO 2B LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2022 14:57:02 +0000

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:   0      10      0  Total Score = 410

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

First, let's be honest here: W6JFA and I used FD as a reason to camping and try
out some radio stuff.  We did that.  We also brought our 12 and 11 year old sons
so we knew radio was going to be on the bottom of the list of activities.

Next, we had plans to play with antenna ideas and see how much better our
signals could be than our attempt during CQP in 2021. We wanted to play with a
vertical and a dipole and who knows what else (grand plans  were made back in
March but several didn't come to fruition due to procrastination and then work
getting in the way).

Then, we added power to our list of experiments. We knew a generator would be
easy but what about a car battery and solar?  So W6JFA bought a solar kit from
Harbor Freight.  It performed perfectly.  Next steps will be pushing it too it's
limits with the Flex and an Amp (we want something as a help to get over the
line loss and antenna loss).

In the end, we heard fantastically (stateside and DX).  However, our patience in
pile ups wasn't up to what it needed to be.  It quickly came down to the fact
that we had our boys with us and we wanted them to have fun.  Sitting in
pile-ups wasn't fun for them and we couldn't get a good run frequency.  So we
walked away and went on hikes, swam in lakes, and got eaten by mosquitos.  We
had a blast and we made some great memories with the kids.

-W6DMW

20m wire dipole (perfectly tuned to 14.200 if I may say so myself)
Icom 7100 (I came home and hugged my flex because I missed it so much)
12v car battery
Harbor Freight Solar Kit

foot notes:
1) W6KO was the newly granted "club" call for Johnny and I so we ran
with that.
2) No more "Please Copy"!
3) We didn't even turn on the laptop so all logging was by hand.  I sure hope we
have the paper in the camping gear.
4) score above is based on the multipliers from ARRL