[3830] ARRL FD K3KU 1D LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD K3KU 1D LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2022 00:06:32 +0000

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:   15     0       0  Total Score = 46

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

The K3KU FD Saga began a few weeks before FD when I retired my TS-850SAT and got
a new TS-590SG (only my thirds not-used radio -- including a 2M FM box -- in 61+
years of ham radio).  A whole lot of learning to do.  I got the radio integrated
into my station set-up the week before FD, and planned to use FD as the
shakedown cruise so I'd be ready for RAC Canada Day five days later.

But then K3RA pleaded with me to come out to the PVRC W3AO operation Saturday
night to do some relief operating.  With my wifes's concurrence, I agreed.
Saturday night I busted out to W3AO, planning to stay only 'til 7 AM (11Z), as
we had grandchildren commitments at 10 AM.

I arrived at W3AO and sat in for KD4D on 40M CW.  Mark refreshed me on how to
use the K3 and CT-DOS.  He watched as I fat-fingered and otherwise fumbled the
logging. I used my copy-behind skills to fix the fractured entries while the
computer called CQ.  That works great at home, but I had forgotten that the
entries from all the other stations would be rolling up the log, and finding the
QSO to fix was tricky.

Mark decided that I should practice CT on a different band, so I went over to
20M CW to relieve K3RA.  That worked better (more experience, slower rate) until
20M died after an hour or two.  So, back to 40M CW until I busted out of there
for home at 7 AM.

Sunday afternoon at home I had a couple of hours free before the end of FD, so I
got on, hoping for a fresh meat effect.  Not so much.  A couple of S&P QSOs
on 40M CW, then a run of 13 QSOs in an hour.  I also tried making QSOs on 40M
SSB, but no luck, neither S&P nor CQing.  Nor did I find anybody to work on
another band.  So my bMixed Mode, All Band log looks like a 40M CW only log.

This does not look good for Canada Day.  You can read about it when I post for
that.

I did have one QSO with W3AO, which I may not count for points. N1MM+ did not
let me edit the log for that.  I just omitted it from the QSO count and made it
xQSO in the Cabrillo log.  I thin-air guessed that my score would go down from
N1MM's 56 to an actual 46.