[3830] 222Up N8RA Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, chetsubaccount@snet.net
Subject: [3830] 222Up N8RA Single Op LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2022 21:18:34 +0000
                    ARRL 222 MHz and Up Distance Contest - 2022

Call: N8RA
Operator(s): N8RA
Station: N8RA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: FN31
Operating Time (hrs): 3.7

------------
  222:  22
  432:  16
  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
------------
Total:  38  Total Score = 14,102

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

This was my first time putting in more than a token effort to work this contest.
The distance scoring is a great incentive to improve the station and the
operator. Plus, it does not matter much to others if they have already worked
your grid, since grids are not multipliers.

My ratio of CW/SSB versus FT-8 was approx. 50/50.
Farthest Qs on 222 and 432 were ~350 miles using FT-8 and ~275 miles on CW.
Total time on was listed as a bit under 4 hours.
Chat pages were not used.

What went right:

Nothing broke.

An omni antenna on 222 was useful for finding activity off the main lobe of the
yagi.

All FT-8 users had selected the EU VHF Contest choice for 6 digit grids.
Hooray!

FT-8 TX5 messages like “$DX 432174” worked FB for asking a station to move
to another band.

What went wrong:

Had a couple computer problems. My home network started acting up just before
the contest (of course). Turned out to be the router wanting to update.

The second problem was noticed while running FT-8. All of a sudden, a
transmission would stop, and the time did not match the master networked
computer that had been syncing time. After turning off its OS’s “set time
automatically” choice (who put that on?) the problem did not reoccur.

Found a freq drift problem with my Elecraft 432 transverter. It’s fine on CW
and SSB but the FT-8 duty cycle warms it up faster than the oven can compensate
so it takes a while of no decodes in either direction before it settles down.