[3830] 222Up N0URW Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] 222Up N0URW Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2022 16:04:19 +0000
                    ARRL 222 MHz and Up Distance Contest - 2022

Call: N0URW
Operator(s): N0URW
Station: N0URW

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: Iowa
Operating Time (hrs): 12

------------
  222:  13
  432:  11
  903:
  1.2:   1
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
------------
Total:  25  Total Score = 12,049

Club:

Team:

Comments:

For this test I put up a single 222-5wl at 60 ft and a single 432-9wl at 72 feet
for ssb and FT8 contacts.
 I also put up a single 4 el. vertical yagi on 222 at 40 feet, and 2 x 6 el.
yagi at 40 feet on 440 vertical to get a few FM contacts.
 Contest Time::: I had most of Saturday free to play on the radio. Out of town
on Sunday. So tried to make the best of the time I had.
 Started out on ssb. 222 MHz signals were good East, South, West out to 400+
miles. Pointing North was met with tons of lightning crashes. This made it
almost impossible to complete any contacts. 432 contacts were terrible no matter
which way I pointed the beam. This is so not good !!!
 After a while I switched over to FT8. It was nice to see several more have
figured out how to run FT8 on 222 now. FT8 on 432 was just as bad as ssb. As the
day turned to night I was hoping the bands would get better. Nope !!! Last year
we had good opening Northeast on 222. Not this year.
I had to stop and take a break to watch the big fire works show over at the
Herbert Hoover days celebration. That took about 40 minutes. It was well worth
watching !!! When I got back I was hoping for better band conditions. Nope !!! I
stayed with it until well after midnight. Everyone else seemed to go to bed. At
least I picked up a few FM contacts to add to the log. Made it worth the time I
spent building and mounting the small yagi's.
My setup this time was , 222 MHz = Heil Pro 7 / Icom 7300 / DEMI High Power
transverter / 1 Kw amplifier / mast mount pre-amp / single 222-5wl yagi mounted
horizontal at 60 feet / 4 element homebrew yagi at 40 feet mounted vertical..
 432 MHz = Heil Pro 7 / Icom 9100 / 800 watt amplifier / mast mount pre-amp /
single 432-9wl yagi mounted horizontal at 72 feet / 2 x 6 element homebrew
yagi's mounted vertical at 40 feet. I also made one 1296 contact. It was to
K2DRH around 90 miles East of me. For this contact I used my Icom 9100 at 10
watts output power to a loop yagi I was holding in my hand pointing out a
window. Pretty good copy considering.
I was dissapointed more didn't get on for this. Maybe they did on Sunday when I
was gone.
Who ever said these UHF frequencies are line of sight, never operated in a UHF
contest. If they had, they never would of said it.
   ( None of my contacts were line of sight )
 Until we meet again :)  de N0URW