[3830] ARRL 160 KB9OWD SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ryantiff@charter.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 KB9OWD SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2022 23:25:14 +0000
                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest - 2022

Call: KB9OWD
Operator(s): KB9OWD
Station: KB9OWD

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: WI
Operating Time (hrs): 18

Total:  QSOs = 738  Sections = 74  Countries = 8  Total Score = 123,000

Club:

Comments:

Well, not sure what to say on this one.  A great first 24 hours, followed by a
frustrating ending.

I have never really had a 160 antenna and in the first week of November, K9MU
and NE9U led the effort and got an inverted L up here.  The antenna is about as
vertical as it is horizontal and has five random length radials.  It has worked
really well, performing above expectations the last month with about 30 or so
countries worked on 160 with low power.

I was excited to see the antenna perform this weekend.  For the first night, it
continued to exceed my expectations.  I have no receive antennas and receive
only on the L.  I worked just under 600 QSOs on night one, highlighted by F, DL
and OM among others for DX.  Two KH6 made the log on night one.  The rate seemed
decent and even with two unplanned off times (tuner failure in the first 10
minutes that was taken out of line and a ZL opening on 6 meters about 7 PM local
that forced a half hour off to hook that up and take a look) I was happy.  I sat
at #2 on the online scoreboard after night one, trailing only NE9U at that time
online.

I started at about 3 PM Saturday and worked until about 7 PM.  I closed that gap
and just after 7 PM, had caught up to Scott in score and had about a 40 QSO
edge.  I was right in the hunt.  N3HEE was in there and motivated us to push us
along.

At 7 PM, I had good rate and was pushing strong, thinking a top 4 or 5 was very
possible.  But.....  I had promised my wife we could go out for a few hours with
friends we had not seen in some time.  It was very, very, very hard to pull
away.  However, after a full weekend away at K9CT last weekend, a full weekend a
few weeks back at K9CT and other work stuff keeping me away, I decided the right
thing to do was honor my commitment to her and go.

I returned four hours later and was just deflated.  My score I had busted my
butt to achieve had been caught.  I wasted probably 75 to 100 very critical QSOs
and while I sat down for a half hour, I just mentally could not overcome it.  I
was tired from the lack of sleep night one and it wasn't fun.  I really
struggled with taking that off time as I did.  I pushed the big button and
tossed in the towel.

Was it the right choice?  I'm not sure.  I slept alright, had a full day of
basketball today and until I sat down to write a writeup, was over it.  Now I
look back and realize that I could have been right in the thick of it and it
stings a bit.

The L performed great and many thanks again to K9MU and NE9U for getting me on
160.  I was very impressed with my rates and ability to run.  Missed NT in
Canada, NV, NM and AK for states and a few sections in 6 and 7 land.

Thanks for all the QSOs, see you in the next one.

73,

Ryan KB9OWD