[3830] ARRL 10 KK4R SO CW HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, kk4r.rob@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 KK4R SO CW HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 01:05:55 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2022

Call: KK4R
Operator(s): KK4R
Station: KK4R

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: va
Operating Time (hrs): 4:57

   CW:  155    54
  SSB:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  155    54  Total Score = 33,480

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Wow!  A whole weekend full of 10m activity!  It turned out to be a great
opportunity to figure out where the RFI is coming from.  At worst, S6 noise
would obscure all but the strongest stations, but there were times when the
noise was only S3 or S4, and all the RFI would go on and off periodically.  For
a long time I have suspected the variable speed fans in the heat pumps around
me.  That was confirmed.  It turned out that my own system was putting out at
the S3 or S4 noise.  I was able to figure out that my neighbor's system is the
really noisy one.  In the end, I won't be asking anyone to turn off their heat
or get something done about their HVAC.  Thanks to a test 10m antenna that I put
nearer the back of the  lot, I found that the noise is significanlt better as
you get away from the houses, so it looks like an antenna could be the solution.