[3830] ARRL 10 K9MU SO SSB Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k9mu@k9mu.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 K9MU SO SSB Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 11:59:03 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2022

Call: K9MU
Operator(s): K9MU
Station: K9MU

Class: SO SSB Unlimited HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 20

   CW:
  SSB: 1002   132
-------------------
Total: 1002   132  Total Score = 264,528

Club:

Comments:

Elecraft K3 – SPE 1.3K-FA (mid - 800w max) – Force 12 C4SXL (3 elements on
10m)

63 countries! 69 USA/VE/XE mults!

Well, I did not plan on this! I got started early Sunday morning with the
intention of picking off some countries and maybe to try and run a bit. I had an
Es opening to NC/SC area around 6:30am and started to run. Then it opened to SA
and Caribbean not long after. I was having all sorts of DX calling me with low
numbers and big signals (HI3K gave me #1). Then some eastern EU stations called!
I was pointed toward the Caribbean and moved to beam direct to EU but lost the
signals. Everything was skewed path toward the sun! Nice backscatter from the
Midwest and east coast. Around 14z, I slid up the band and found a quiet spot.
EU signals were getting loud and I now had a direct path. I ran almost 200 EU/AF
and had around 45 DXCC! EU died around 16:30z. Some cool mults called in like:
C5YK, V55Y, 3B8/F6HMQ, FR4QT, V51MA, ZS6FY, 3X1A.

Then it was the SA and California rate fest! Non-stop W6 callers with a best
true hour of 160 Q’s. I had several more hours over 100 Q’s. I had VK and ZL
call in as the sun was setting. I tried for JA7OWD a long time but never got
him. Nabbed one KL7 as well. Then the band completely died hard.
I had already broken my Wisconsin HP-Unlimited SSB record that was 70k from
2015! Now my goal changed to WB9Z’s Central Division record (missed it by a
lot).

Sunday morning was a different beast. No Es, high noise, and I only grabbed a
couple big gun eastern EU stations (YT0W, OR6T) skewed path. I was able to run a
few EAs, Gs, and Fs around 15:30-16:15z. Westcoast was in again around 18z and
provided some great rates. I focused more on finding the best backscatter paths
and worked a bunch of east coast, midwest, and MWA stations. K0TT and WA0MHJ had
the biggest backscatter sigs! I also kept an eye on XE stations for their rare
mults! During the west coast run and I had guy that kept telling me my signal
was bad/wide and then had some digital QRM noise follow me around. I asked for
signal quality reports as I ran and everyone else said I was clean. The joys of
SSB…. The band died around 22:40z for stateside. JA/KL7 stations then peaked
up and were stronger than Saturday. I was able to work JA8COE, AL2F, KL7KK, and
AL7LO to end the contest.

I was fun comparing band conditions and rates with guys (NE9U, N9ISN, N9CIQ,
etc.) on our local chat page.

This contest was dedicated to my K9 partner (Roni) who passed away unexpectedly
from a heart problem on Thursday.  It was a good distraction for the brain. RIP
ol’ boy!

73,
Justin, K9MU
Eau Claire, WI