[3830] ARRL 10 AB1J SO Mixed Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ktfrog007@aol.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 10 AB1J SO Mixed Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2022 22:33:25 +0000
                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest - 2022

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SO Mixed Unlimited LP
QTH: Waltham MA
Operating Time (hrs): 6:30

   CW:  138    50
  SSB:   32    14
-------------------
Total:  170    64  Total Score = 39,424

Club:

Comments:

This was my 3rd contest weekend in a row. I did a fairly serious CQ-WW-CW 10m
SOLP (CONDEF 2 - see below ;-) and then the FT Roundup as a serious CHECKLOG
(because I used a robot program) and all I wanted this time was a minor
diversion. I have a contest threat level indictor: CONDEF 1-5 (CONtest DEFense,
based on DEFCON 1-5) for preparing for a contest weekend, mostly to let my wife
know how disruptive it will be.

CONDEF 5 no contest
CONDEF 4 minor, random activity - no household disruption - don't have to tell
my wife
CONDEF 3 tell wife - sporadic serious activity, gray line, etc. No disruptions
to regular meals and family activities.
CONDEF 2 alert wife -I'll be on a lot, meals could be disrupted, need to work
out RFI issues (for wife's DVR)
CONDEF 1 warn wife - maximum contest - total disruption - I take RFI precedence
- keep everyone away - you'll see me Monday.

This was a CONDEF 4 situation. Just dropped by the shack occasionally and had a
few QSOs. Went SOU for more bang for the buck. There's no meters like 10 meters,
but after the WW-CW I was sort of 10 metered-out. But it's nice to see the band
booming. Lots of good ol' F2 again.

But wait, there's more: Sunday afternoon I took a look at the DXMaps Es display.
The continental US was green from coast to coast and it was nice change from the
red state-blue state maps I see so often. A nation united under sporadic-E.

Let's hear it for Heaviside.

I even went to SSB, where I'm a stranger in a strange land. It felt weird to be
there, as I'm not adept at phone operating and there are lots of calls I don't
recognize. Way out of my comfort zone. Had a few QSOs and then high-tailed it
back to CW.

Thanks for the QSOs.

73,
Ken AB1J